Lollipop for Galaxy S5 issue
LlamaGS5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure you've had this come across here more times than I can count or care to count anyways, but I'm pointing out the glaring issues with the lollipop OS update for the Galaxy S5. Now, I'm not going to use bold or CAPS, or a bunch of !!!! to discuss this, but here's the timeline of what happened and why we need the actual fixed version of this OS.

1. Last week, on 2/4/2015 my phone told me I had to reboot as there was an OS Update and it was the first of two such updates. I figured at least I was at work and on the company wireless so I wasn't going to incur data usage to redownload what I use so I went ahead and did it. After watching it grind away and a couple restarts later, I was in the new OS. The fact that it's as ugly as the latest IOS from Apple aside, I started to poke around a bit, everything seemed okay so I set my work email back up, reloaded my contacts and downloaded only the apps that had updates to say they worked with it. This leads me to #2.

2. Within 30 mins of that all being completed, all ability to charge off a USB 3.0 port was gone, and in fact the battery was going down from being plugged in. My work computer isn't a hunk of junk and it worked fine with KitKat installed. I unplugged, rebooted, and plugged back in, the charge went up 2% (it had drained 8% prior) and then that's when the fun really started as the phone got nice and hot. So I took it out of the nice big case that Verizon sold me and powered it off because it was really hot already. I waited for it to cool off and then I powered it up. Imagine my shock when the battery said 87% so I figured something got garfed and I cleared the cache after powering off/on. Within 2 minutes, I had a nice handwarmer again so I sighed and went to the next step.

3. Reformat - this is a pain in the neck, because I did this twice in 90 mins because the first time, I did it, it started getting hot again. The second time I did it, it went slower, and when it was done and over with, I was able to charge the phone off USB 3.0 again, but it was extremely slow.

4. This is everything from that day to today.

a. Any call drains the battery like a thirsty person drinking water.

b. App usage kills the phone like a hungry wolf eating a fresh kill in the woods.

c. Idling with nothing active and I do mean nothing gives new meaning to the term mobile hot spot.

d. The phone would lose a race with the tortoise, even if the phone was the only one in the race as everything runs slow.

I've let it sit a week to 'burn in' and it's not improved at all. I went to get coffee from my desk at work and in 5 mins, the phone lost charge from 100% to 94% and nothing was running. I do not have any active services going except for the fact it's on my Exchange mailserver, GPS is off, the screen brightness is at it's lowest, etc. I don't even have any apps on the phone going to that could be an issue, no social media, nothing - my phone is more anti-social than a rabid honey badger. Now before any support tells me to clear the cache or run in safe mode, I've done that, I'm in IT so I know how to Google and find answers, they don't work so your links you'll post, like from a generic customer service textbook file, have already been checked and it doesn't help. And if I warranty the phone, I will get a 'certified' refurb phone, which considering what I paid for my S5 (it replaced an overheating Iphone 4s inbetween renewal dates), I do not want a refurb. I dealt with this once before with refurbs and after 4 bad ones in a row I ended my old contract with Verizon. I returned to Verizon when I wound up going to Florida for a trip and my company AT&T phone wouldn't work and I was 60 feet away from a tower and AT&T wouldn't do anything for me.

I have heard there is an 5.0.1 / 5.0.2 OS that fixed all the glaring issues.

Why do we not have that being 'pushed' to us?

Labels (1)