LG VS930 Spectrum2: The. Worst. Phone. Ever.
psychobob

A little over a year ago I jumped into the world of smart phones. I did my research, looking for the phone with the best connectivity and battery life with the best price I could find. There was a new phone from LG, the Spectrum2, which was getting rave reviews (CNET gave it a 3.5 and PCMag a 4, both out of 5). I pulled the trigger and did an early upgrade.

Almost immediately I noticed some quirks. It was laggy when closing apps. Once in a while it wouldn't dial out. But overall it was going well. Then the GPS quit working. It would just sit there trying to find a signal (apparently this might be an issue with LG devices. I've had 2 phones and now the G-Pad has the same problem).

Then, I think in late summer, I was carrying something upstairs and I apparently compressed the screen to the point it damaged the LCD behind the glass. It wasn't a heavy item, and I didn't even feel it pressing on my leg. I did have insurance, though the $250 deductible is highway robbery - should've read the fine print (that's like paying an almost $15,000 deductible on a $45,000 car in an accident).

Funny thing is, my replacement phone had the same problems as my old one and, as it turns out, much worse issues. It is really, really slow. Often it wont call out, just sitting with a little spinny circle until I restart it. It won't send text messages, nor receive them. And bluetooth is basically useless (an apparently known issue from at least as far back as April 2013).

Its no wonder Verizon quit selling this model about 6 months after it was released.

And, of course, Verizon has me by the proverbial you-know-whats. I'm not eligible for a discounted upgrade for another year. So unless I want to gamble $400-600 on another phone, I'm stuck with this terrible piece of electronic flotsam.

Labels (1)
0 Likes