LG V10, fingerprint scanner and case....read on for helpful information
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I bought the LG V10. I had a perfectly good G3 but decided I wanted the V10. I love it. I have had it since October 31. No issues.

Well. I decided not to buy a case in the store. They're overpriced and I knew what I wanted and Verizon didn't have it. I really didn't want a case at all but the sleeve that I had for my G3 was not tall enough to fit the V10. I was a little bummed about that because it had pictures of my cats. I would order one again for the V10 but they haven't gotten around to making a sleeve for this tall device but I digress.

I wanted you all to know what I discovered.

After using the device for about 24 hours I felt like I needed a case. It is very aesthetically beautiful and I didn't want to damage the metal on the sides. This is the ONLY reason I decided to get one. I ordered a clear TPU case from Amazon. It cost $7.88 and I got it in 2 days with Prime shipping. It fits the phone snuggly and isn't at all bulky. Practically perfect in every way. Like Mary Poppins. Imagine my surprise when I installed the thing on my phone and....the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work. Don don doooooon! I was quite upset. I took it off and it worked. I put it on and it didn't. I did this countless times. Like something was going to change. Like I had somehow put the thing on incorrectly. Post haste, I drove to the nearest corporate store. Surely they'd have a case that would work. I was presented a black case nowhere near as nice in quality as the one I'd received from Amazon for $7.88 and had I bought 2 from Amazon it still would have been cheaper than this case at the Verizon Store. Much to my chagrin, this one did not work either. What they heck is going on here? In my determination to find a solution, I went to Best Buy. They didn't even have anything for the V10. So sad.

I did a quick Google search and found out that the metal sides need to have contact with your skin as well as the metal ring around the power button/fingerprint scanner. Ok. An answer. By far not a satisfying one, but an answer none-the-less. I had also briefly read about someone running aluminum foil to the power button. I don't know. It sounded hanky to me. So when I got home I broke out the aluminum foil and took a small piece and placed it in the case so that it made contact with the metal on the side of the phone and then brought it around the outside so that I could touch it. Voila!! It worked. I was onto something. I searched high and low and found some double sided tape and affixed it so that it stuck to the inside of the case and came around to the outside to exactly where I wanted it. No huge piece needed. After all, it doesn't have to be the whole side of the phone. I then took a piece of foil and covers the tape and carefully cut (by cut I mean ripped) the excess so I had only covered the tape. This seems to have been a successful hack and I thought that I needed to share this. Remember, I wasn't trying to destroy the beauty of this device. I really hope that LG finds a way to make it so that we do not have to touch the metal sides in order for the scanner to work. Until then, enjoy this information.

1103152110 (1).jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes