LG Spectrum - Disappearing app icons
leejay99
Enthusiast - Level 3

My issue began Wednesday morning when my home internet went down.  I was trying to use the browser on my phone but every time it tried to load a webpage, it tried to auto-connect to my wifi and give me the old "webpage can not be found" error.  I went into my settings, turned off the auto-connect and all of a sudden, I had to force close about 20 or so of my apps.  (Maybe I shouldn't have hit force close.)  Once I got the browser to work and finished using it, I noticed that at least half of the application icons that I had on my home screens were gone!  I hit my Apps key and noticed that a lot of the apps that I had sorted into my different folders, were moved back into the Downloads folder/category. 

So, Thursday morning I went through all my apps and put them all back into the folders that I had originally put them in, put the app icons back on my home screens and it seemed like all was right with the world, or at least with the phone.

Last evening, I connected my phone to my laptop to charge it.  Once it was charged, I disconnected it and noticed that, once again, more than half of my icons were missing from the home screens!  This time, a lot of the same ones are missing and some that weren't missing after Wednesday's fiasco, are now missing, too. Again, I hit the App button and noticed that the apps were again moved back into the Downloads folder. 

I have had this phone for 6+ months now and have not had this issue until this week.  The only thing that I did that I had not done with the phone yet was to turn off the auto-connect.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Spectrum - Disappearing app icons
stef7
Master - Level 2

I've seen this sort of thing. So have others.

This could happen in Gingerbread when say, you move the app to the microSD card (i.e. not in Phone Memory), but you connect your phone to a PC via the USB cable to charge or transfer files. This effectively unmounts it from the phone, and mounts it to the PC. I think the SD card scanner then gets confused when you disconnect your phone from the PC... or the phone's launcher doesn't know enough about the apps being available again.

For example, here's just one of the sites that references the behavior:

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/10417/android-2-2-avoid-disappearing-of-home-shortcuts-to...

By any chance when you saw this behavior, had you recently been using the phone with your PC and then disconnected?

Next time, simply try rebooting your phone. I think I have done that to solve the issue.

I *THINK* this is a GB "feature" heh heh, and should we get ICS like we were advertised (but is a noshow like these icons still many months later), perhaps it has been addressed.

0 Likes