LG Reception G3 vs V20
JBenson2

I've struggled to use my LG G3 for the past couple years here in central Maine. Many, many dropped calls. The closest cell tower I can find is near I-95 in Pittsfield, Maine.

Would the LG V20 be any stronger at pulling in a stronger signal?

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: LG Reception G3 vs V20
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe or maybe not. How far away is this tower you mentioned?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JBenson2

Sorry, forgot to mention the distance. According to Google Maps, the cell tower is about 4.5 miles as the crow flies. Elevation?: my home is slightly higher than the highway. Obstructions?: no buildings, just lots of trees.  I notified Verizon of the reception problem about a year ago and they made an adjustment. However, I never noticed any improvement.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is a little bit far. The elevation could be part of the problem. The line of sight from the tower to your home could actually be beneath the ground. I'm not sure if the signal is broadcast up in elevation or not. Even if the signal does travel upwards, the trees between the tower and you could weaken the signal even further.

For example, the tower I'm currently connected to is approximately 1.5 miles away. The signal is -110 dBm (Band 13) and -96 dBm (1xRTT voice network). I show 2 bars on the phone. While the data strength isn't great, the voice network is decent and I don't drop calls or have trouble hearing people with that signal.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JBenson2

Thank you for the information.

I made the mistake in believing the Verizon salesperson in Minnesota (before our move to Maine) and the Verizon coverage map. They were both wrong.

I will stick with the LG G3 and skip the upgrade. My landline is more reliable.

0 Likes
JBenson2

Follow up question:

How do I verify I am actually making a LG G3 call over my home Wifi network and not a cell phone tower?

My settings:

>Settings >Advanced Calling >HD Voice and Video calling is checked

But I do not see any visible indication when making a call that confirms I am using WiFi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the conflicting information you received and I'm here to help. What is your current zip code? Do you experience the issue outdoors as well? For HD Calling support visit:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-112512/

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JBenson2

My zip code is 04965. Our home is approximately 1/4 mile north on Raymond Road.

When I first noticed the problem I tried making calls from my front door step outside, but I did not notice an improvement. It gets cold in Maine, so I do not try this very often.

0 Likes