LG G3 WiFi Issues after latest system update
rnick821
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received my Lollipop update about a week and a half ago, and since then, my phone has had nothing but problems.  The battery started to drain almost immediately to the point where it would be dead in half a day, and the WiFi got incredibly slow.

I did a factory reset, and that seems to have helped the battery issue some (although it still seems to be kind of quick to drain) but WiFi on my home network is HORRIBLY slow, and almost unusuable.   It's, in general, much faster to do things in 4G than with WiFi.

When I am on WiFi, and connect to a web site, Facebook, or Netflix, it just hangs there for 15-45 seconds before the page loads and or the content displays.  If watching a show on Netflix, it takes usually about 1 minute or more for the show to start after clicking on it, and then in the middle, it often pauses/buffers.  A regular web site like Google News will take 30-45 seconds to load, and usually the screen locks at least 3-4 times while waiting for the page to load. 

No other device in my house has this issue, and like I said, it doesn't happen when data is being received via 4G.

I ask that Verizon get this fixed immediately, or make some kind of offer to LG G3 users to get free increases in 4G data utilization, as that seems to be the only way to use their phones to receive data via the web.

Please help.  Again, I have done a factory reset, and every other device in my home is lightning fast.  This is related to my phone in particular, it started after the Lollipop update, and based on what I have read in the various community forums, I am NOT the only one with this problem. 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Re: LG G3 WiFi Issues after latest system update
lambofbreana
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have you had any luck with this issue yet?! I'm in the same boat.

TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES

We make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, to the extent permitted by applicable law, any implied warranty of merchantability  or fitness for a particular purpose, about your Service, your wireless device, or any applications you access through your wireless device. We do not warrant that your wireless device will work perfectly or will not need occasional upgrades or modifications, or that it will not be negatively affected by network–related modifications, upgrades or similar activity. If you download or use applications, services or software provided by third parties (including voice applications), 911 or E911, or other calling functionality, may work differently than services offered by us, or may not work at all. Please review all terms and conditions of such third–party products.Verizon Wireless is not responsible for any third–party information, content, applications or services you access, download or use on your device. You are responsible for maintaining virus and other Internet security protections when accessing these third–party products or services.

Don't expect Verizon to really give you any type of credit or free data to make up for this issue.....they are NOT the ones causing your problem. You should contact LG as they are the ones that released the software through Google. Verizon Wireless does not provide you with the Wifi function on your device, the manufacture of your smartphone does. Verizon provides you with a basic service of calls, text and data......all the bells, whistles and overall functionality is up to the manufacturer to maintain. This pretty much also applies to EVERY carrier out there, no carrier has some magical software engineering team that sits around and develops and maintains Lolipop, Kitkat, iOS, etc. where they fix all the major issues consumers are having.....this is the job of the manufacturer and Google.

Think of your wireless service provider as Costco aka (gas station), you buy your brand new 2015 Cadillac CTS from them through a discount because you are a member and you fill up your gas tank at Costco to keep your running. Your service provider is the gas station that keeps you running and can help you with the overall basic functions, changing your oil, swapping out the tires and running basic diagnostic tests. But when something goes wrong with let's say your emissions testing and you fail, are you going to blame and call Costco for selling you a lemon or take it to the dealership so they can fix the issue properly?

No carrier wants to have software issues on devices if they can help or prevent it as it costs everyone involved a ton of money, but at the end of they day you're simply paying Verizon for a signal.......not for any software update or bug fix.  A form of "planned obsolescence" exists in any smartphone regardless of the make and model. The same is true when it comes to a reliable brand like BMW which is known to be one of the best automobile manufactures in the world......just because it's brand new, expensive and reliable does not mean you won't have issues just like with your smartphone. 

0 Likes
sappingo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having the same issue. My phones only a couple of months old and was working great with KK. Should've read the reviews before I updated to lollipop.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

In another thread, someone is claiming they spoke to a VZW developer that is working on a patch. I don't know if that's true, but I would contact LG, ask to speak to an L2 rep and tell them WiFi isn't working properly.

0 Likes
rnick821
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went ahead and called LG.

The rep was very nice...almost too nice. Smiley Happy

What she explained, however, is that I can send my phone back to LG and they'll re-flash the memory back to Kit Kat (and I'll have to pay a charge that she could not tell me how much it was for this service) or I can wait to see if an update comes along.  She mentioned that she's getting the same complaint a lot, but did not have any idea if/when an update is expected.

In all honesty, I bought the phone because I wanted a phone with a user-replaceable battery...all this crap with updates and such, though, is getting to be too much of a hassle after 3 Android phones.  My next phone I am seriously considering iPhone, as at least it seems like they have a bit better control over stuff like this.  I hate to do it, but since I use the internet on my phone far more than I use voice/text, it's almost a useless device that I am contracted to keep for another year and 9 months.  Sigh.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Well, at least she was nice, and admitted the problem is affecting other users. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
JulieL87

I have been having major problems with my wi-fi as well. I seem to not get any notifications unless connected to 4G. I can't connect to Wi-Fi at my work either, or anywhere where I have to login to a network (it won't even bring the appropriate screen up). I had the same problem at a hotel over the weekend. Thank god for this extra free data we currently have otherwise we would've gone over long ago. I thought it was a problem with home internet, but looks like its an LG problem...

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you have Xfinity WiFi at home.  For some reason, the Xfinity WiFi gateway does not play well with the Lollipop update... on any phone.  Reportedly Google and Comcast are working on a fix.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

This may be true, but it is not just Xfinity services and/or equipment.  I have tested mine on networks tied to ATT and got the same results.  The problem is Lollipop in general regardless of hardware or services.

0 Likes