Re: LG G2 kitkat SEVERE battery drain and performace issues
mdbratch
Enthusiast - Level 2

@stef7, I forgot to say: Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm going to step through them in order of severity and observe results. One thing I had already just done earlier today was to uninstall Skype recommended by an article I read which had that recommendation directly from Google. I have, within that time, noticed the "Android System" battery usage drop from 30-ish% to about 15%. I don't think I have enough time on it to be totally conclusive, but I'm watching that before moving on to the other ideas. Thanks, again.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Believe me, a lot of customer's expect to take operability issues to Verizon, but it often gets them little results? Why? Because Verizon supports it's networks, but for device problems... you either have a self-help forum like this, or the manufacturer, or research from the web.

A lot of LG G2 owners when they updated their phones recently to 4.4.2 did FDRs. Note that when you do this, be careful to back up content important to you. If you perform a Factory Data Reset, you're going to toss all your settings and downloaded content, pictures, music, etc.

Running in SAFE mode will disable any downloaded programs, so that helps rule out something from the Market.

Sorry, I can't recommend a Battery Monitor. You'd have to try some stuff. In the past I've used Battery Monitor Widget to look at charging / discharging rates. I just downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. Don't know if it's any good.

0 Likes
mdbratch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I agree Verizon probably will be of little help. Perhaps, then, they shouldn't even be attempting to answer such questions on this forum and simply refer users to the manufacturer?

I'm walking through my test plan as I described in my prior post. My LG G2 came pre-installed with 4.4.2, so I did not do an FDR originally. If my other less intrusive tests don't yield results, I'll do the FDR.

However, so far, I'm getting some good results. Significantly improved. That's after uninstalling Skype (which I didn't even use). I also noticed that somehow my Go Emoji keyboard was "turned off" (app running, but not selected as the default keyboard). So I'll need to make sure my tests check for that. I'll provide an updated post on this thread when my tests are done. It will be a few days.

0 Likes
labaladeplata97
Enthusiast - Level 2

i was having all these issues....plus alarm wasnt working. i thought i was going crazy ....no way i could sleep through 3 set alarms!!! well after i shut off the ok google  from lock and any screen checkboxes the alarm now works??? wtf i know, but also my battery is better and that "android sys" is sucking less battery also. i a m sooooo against FDR . not that they dont work. its just a TOTAL pain in the *** so, i try everything before doin that. lately tho....last 2 nights, over night at some point my phone sets it self to vibrate ? theres some SERIOUS bugs and mistakes with the last update. :[ i loved the ok google from lock screen. when my screen broke last month,,, its the only way i could call out to any one! OK GOOGLE CALL ..... from a black screen. now i cant use my fav feature. thanks LG and VZW....i ve always loved verizon and lg....my droid 4 had to be returned 9, yes 9 times ...for the same issue. in call volume so low u couldnt hear it. but VZW had never heard of such a thing. it must of been an app...well it wasnt. lol

thanks for your trial and error bro; keep it up your helping me at least

mdbratch

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

One cannot say the FDR will help you either.

However, on this device, I'm not sure there is a low level cache clear mechanism available. That is often at root cause for application and system interoperability issues. If you can't selectively clear that cache, your only option is the thing you and everyone hates....

Google and see if there is a means to clear the low level cache.

These sorts of problems post updates are not unique to LG devices or a particular carrier, but often are a result of the Android system. The more updates you experience, the easier the FDR process becomes.

Sometimes, its a good way to start over fresh and winnow the apps you rely on.

Good luck.

0 Likes
mdbratch
Enthusiast - Level 2

After several weeks of testing a few things and making some observations, what I've found with my LG G2 is that it will, on occasion (every few days or so) get into a mode where "Android System" is consuming a higher percentage of power than even the display. After some hours, it seems to settle down. There have been also a couple of spurious cases where I found my high accuracy GPS on (not knowing how it got turned on). It's difficult to tell why Android System uses a lot of power. There are a lot of details in the list of items that it consists of. My experiments did, however, seem to exonerate the Skype app. So I'm still left with the mystery of why Android System will sometimes suck a lot of power since the tools on the device don't really let me narrow it down any further while the problem is occurring.

0 Likes