Re: LG G2 kitkat SEVERE battery drain and performace issues
stef7
Master - Level 2

In another discussion, reports of their files being backed up to Verizon's Cloud and as a result a lot of WiFi usage. Don't know if that's your situation or not.

If you can backup your files to a PC, you might want to perform a Factory Data Reset, but you will be inconvenienced because you'll have to set up your email again, and other settings for other things. Hopefully, your contacts are backedup on Google's server.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello mbanks21,

I want to make sure you get the most out of your LG G2. Let's find out what is causing this battery to drain so quick. Can you please put the phone in safe mode and test it out for a few hours? http://vz.to/1htJkdM This will block out any 3rd party applications and allow you to use the main funtions of the phone, such as calls, text, and using the internet. Please keep us posted on how the battery life stands up.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to be mad, we want you to be glad Sampson61! Did you retain all your apps during the update? I have the same phone myself with the update. I haven't experienced any battery performance issues since the update; however, each person has unique settings, apps and configurations. As an initial step, I recommend testing the device in safe mode for a full day to see if it impacts the battery. http://vz.to/QyxNQD

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
J_Carp

I had similar battery drain issues and have responded to a few others on this as well.

Resolution should be as follows:

1.)  Go into settings > location and then set location mode to battery saving instead of high accuracy.  Kitkat uses more location services, so putting in battery saving mode will help a lot.

2.)  Open up Google Now - swipe up from home button.  When in Google Now, click on menu settings and then Voice and then "OK Google" hotword detection - turn off this feature as it is constantly trying to listen for the hotword and the processor architecture of this phone is not as efficient as others that are designed specifically for this.  This will also help save battery.

After implementing both of these changes, I recharged the phone to 100% and have been monitoring battery and it has improved significantly, even better than the prior version of Android.  My battery meter directly within Android system settings is currently showing 100h and 10 min remaining with ~99% of battery remaining.

I also run the Snapdragon Battery Guru app from the Android Market - specifically made the the processor in the LG G2.

Hope this helps as it did for me.

0 Likes
glenrob7

Hi all.   This is a followup to yesterday's reply.  Since setting the LOCATION to 'battery save' ,which turns off GPS, and also rebooting twice, I have no more problems.  Battery life is back to normal...only dropped 3% in 10 hours overnight.  Everything seems okay now.  Texts,etc. all work normally.  I believe the issue stems mostly from the GPS.  I have not turned it on again to see what happens but will try later.  GPS seems to drain the battery quickly when used in the LOCATION mode.  Rebooting a couple times may have also stabilized the OS, which is often the case with other computers as well. One thing just occurred which is troubling...Battery suddenly began to drain again while writing this.  Checked LOCATION and it was once again in 'high accuracy' mode.  Changed back to 'battery save' and all is fine again.  Don't know why it reset itself to 'high accuracy'.  Something to watch...  Anyway, most of you can avoid a full factory reset by just disabling the GPS feature in LOCATION.  But keep alert...It seems able to reset itself to using GPS.  Why?????????  Have a better day...

0 Likes
Dehall
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problems. I can no longer get through a day at work with my LgG2 since getting the KitKat update. Prior to the update, it was not a problem. I have not had any success  fixing it.

0 Likes
Dehall
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I go to location mode in settings on my LgG2, no battery saving option appears.

0 Likes
Dehall
Enthusiast - Level 2

oops. I just found it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dehall, Updates should enhance your phone not slow you down. We're sorry for the battery issues since the update. Have you tried a master reset? this has been known to help with problems after update issues.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
VZWSupport

0 Likes
jkhonea

For what it's worth, I was seeing all of the above problems listed.  Remembering previous Android days, I backed up everything and pulled a full hard reset.  Taking the phone completely back to reset after the Kitkat update.  When I got that to take (did it the first time, did get the message about rebooting twice), everything took.  The entire setting menu changed, the appearance changed, all of it.  Battery and charging times seem to be back to normal now after having it acting up after the initial update.

I know it's a pain y'all, but try the backup and hard reset option and see if that doesn't help.  You'll know if it worked because the settings menu seemed to change entirely to me.

Good luck.

0 Likes