LG G2 flash stays on too long
jdynan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our LG G2 when used in low light, the flash stays on for 6 sec before picture is actually taken, it can blind the subject for minutes after.  This issue was asked before on this link https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/830574.  I followed all the steps to include the Safe Mode, it also happens in safe mode. The discussion ended without any resolution.  Any suggestion, this phone is 4 days old with the latest software version VS09827A.  We have another phone, the exact model also new and it also has the condition.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG G2 flash stays on too long
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are able to capture those special moments quickly, jdynan! Have you tried adjusting the Mode to "Night" before taking these pictures? Try testing a 3rd party Camera app to see if the same issue replicates.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

My LG G2 varies in the amount of time the flash stays on.  Usually, the darker or less focused, the longer the flash stays on.  I have found that tapping to focus shortens the amount of time the flash stays on, but again depends on how dark or if you are just tapping the shutter button without focusing first.  The G2 does have auto focus, but in darker situations tapping always helps.  It also depends on where in the picture you tap...for instance tapping on a dark area will require longer flash and in lighter areas less time.

0 Likes
jdynan
Enthusiast - Level 2

YateK,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I wanted to wait until it actually got dark to test your theory.  The Night mode is not the solution, the picture is dark and grainy.  The flash does work but with the light staying on for the 6-7 sec.  The camera does take great pics but when the flash is needed it can not be used for people only objects.  I understand LG's quest for the best result by lighting the subject until the camera can sort out the best focus, but my HTC2 takes a great picture, with flash, in about 1 sec. This is more like a "real" camera's handling of the need for flash.

You also mentioned a 3rd party app but reading the reviews some have the chance to turn the phone into a "brick" if not done correctly or they don't work at all.

I may consider turning this phone back during my trial period for a Samsung, only after testing its handling of the flash issue.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

No 3rd party app can match the camera software in the G2.  Even ROMs don't have that technology baked into them.  It's proprietary.  Plus, consider the distance from the subject.  My G2 takes day-like shots in pitch black at 15 feet.  I can only assume you have a defective unit.  I do not use night mode.  It attempts to over-aperture, but then all phone cameras do that.  The only camera even remotely better than the G2s is the MS WP Lumias.

0 Likes
jdynan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5,    

It may be possible that the phone is defective but we picked up another identical model the same day and they both have the condition.  What brings this to light is last weekend we were at a wedding of a very good friend and wanted some pictures.  The room was lit, although not all that bright, the phone took grainy pictures, every single one.  We did try the flash but after being blinded, having our picture taken, we opted not to try that again. So if you are having good luck great, we may be the victim of the newest software upgrade, who knows.  Without a solution they are going back in the box.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Awesome. Best wishes. A digital SLR might be a better choice if you're serious about photography.

0 Likes