Re: LG Ally to get Android 2.2 in Feb
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
OMG I really hope its true!! I have two allys on my account and that would give this phone a new life! :smileyvery-happy:
0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, with a BUT.  It's definitely underway but as LG Pro said, it's coming in Feb, so I can't speak to the OTA date.  The BUT part is that not all phones are the same (in processor and memory primarily) so the COMPLETE feature set will not be available to all phones (think Flash) but it's definitely worth it anyway.  

0 Likes
ace214

Just recieved my ota update for Froyo.  It's downloading now.  So they have started rolling it out.  Location: Iowa (for those interested.)

0 Likes
cwag99

I just got my Update and it sucks rearend I had to re download all my ring tones and now I can't use any of them for Message Notifications.  It looks like as the phones advance some of the simpler stuff so you can personalize it get removed.  I can't wait til my contract is up cause I am so sick of over paying for crap.  No wounder people get divorces after 10 year this one is way over due {word filter avoidance}

0 Likes
DJS727

Received my update at 4am...

One thing I do not like is how they changed the background color of your contacts to black with white font, and they changed the text messaging background to white with black lettering....where as with 2.1 it was the opposite...liked it better before, but I guess I can get used to this.

Just sent a text message and it is taking about 5 minutes to send this message...I dont understand. Never had this problem before the update.

They also seperated "Sounds & Display" in the Settings menu to two seperate catergories...I do like that.

They added a couple buttons in the main menu..."3G Hotspot" "Google Search" "Google News & Weather"....They also changed the name of the "Socialite" button to "LG Social"

They added the green android man widget for first time users, to show tips on how to use the home screen.

Google added a "News & Weather" widget...Its very BLAH I do not like it at all.

I do wonder if they improved battery life in 2.2, I dont know yet mine is just charging for the first time now since the update....If someone can let us how their battery life has been since the 2.2 update that would be great...!

Also...The web browser isn't any faster than it was.

I also like when you slide the phone open you do not need to unlock the screen also...by sliding the keyboard out the screen unlocks itself.

Thats about all I've noticed about the 2.2 update so far...

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Can you get voice-activated bluetooth dialing?  Can you move apps to sdcard?  (I know it depends on whether the app is writtten that way; and you may have to update an app to gain the new function)

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

DJS727 wrote:

Also...The web browser isn't any faster than it was.

The stock browser seems to be the slowest of all the available ones.  Is that what you are using?  Many like Dolphin, Opera, Steel, Skyfire, xps (or something like that).

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ok so finally we get 2.2 then I find out no Flash 10.1 support. How is that 2.2 then? That's the only feature I even cared about. dumping my Ally as soon as I can. This sucks. Oh yeah can you guys make it to where we can post using IE9. You'd think you guys be on the ball with this stuff. I hate having to switch browsers back and forth.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Brian68 wrote:

Ok so finally we get 2.2 then I find out no Flash 10.1 support. How is that 2.2 then? That's the only feature I even cared about. dumping my Ally as soon as I can. This sucks. Oh yeah can you guys make it to where we can post using IE9. You'd think you guys be on the ball with this stuff. I hate having to switch browsers back and forth.

It is the processor in the Ally that limits your ability to install Flash 10.1 on your phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cracka444

Great, new software update and it sucks.  More stock apps that constantly run and can't get rid of.  Main complaint is now my text messages will not send out.   Serious who thought that these changes would be better?

0 Likes