Highlighted

LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Member

My wife was using her new LG Ally phone (4 days old). She apparently had a drop of water on her finger and when she switched open the keyboard the phone went dead. We tried charging it and it came on but only had 4% charge.

 

We took it to a store and they said it had water damage. We thought that was crazy but after looking at the phone we realized that when you open the keypad your fingers are right over the connection of the battery to the phone. So one drop of water is all it took (crazy but true). 

 

We let the phone sit for a day and a half while we contacted support. They basically said we were screwed (in a polite way) and that we would have to buy a new phone at full price. They did, however, tell us a canned story about dropping it in the toilet and putting it in rice to dry it out. That made me think I should try charging it again. And this time (a day and a half later) it seems to be charging normally. We didn't put it in rice (but we are talking about a drop of water) but I'll probably do that as well just to be on the safe side. Support also asked if we had the phone in the bathroom while taking a shower which makes me think that this phone (all smart phones?) is very sensitive to moisture in the air.

 

When we got the phone I looked into getting a cover for it. I found some plastic back covers but I didn't understand why you would want that. But after this I'm thinking that it is needed to keep water away from the battery.

 

Just FYI. I'd never try to use this phone on a rainy day.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Sr. Member

Is it working OK now? Did your indicators turn pink? By the battery, where it should be red X's, it turns pink when it gets wet. If that happens, Verizon will not replace it under the manufacturer's warranty, but I believe Assurion does if you have insurance (which you can still add if it's within 30 days).

 

Yes, smart phones are definitely more sensitive to moisture. I don't even take mine into the bathroom with me while showering. And ever since I got caught in a rainstorm at a concert, I put my phone in a Ziploc bag if I'm in an outdoor situation where that could happen.

 

If it ever gets wet, immediately shut it off and pull out the battery. Place the phone and battery separately in a bag of uncooked rice for 1-2 days before even attempting to turn it on. (That's for, say, dropping it in a glass of beer ... a drop is probably OK.) I know it's hard to wait that long, but turning it on and charging are the worst things you can do. The moisture can corrode the battery and insides of the phone when the battery is connected. (Some people suggest using a hair dryer to blow out the water, but I would not do that ... the heat can ruin it, and the air can blow the water farther into the phone.)

 

I hope it's working and all is well! Thanks for giving others the heads-up.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Member

Good questions.

 

I can still see the X's but it was enough to turn the white area light pink. The battery has 10 red dots and it smeared one of the dots to pink (only one of the 10).

 

Support said they couldn't let me get the insurance now because they know there was water damage even though it has only been 4 days.

 

We didn't even realize it was water related when it first went off so we did try to charge it. We didn't know it was water related until we took it to the Verizon store. After sitting for a day it seemed to be charging fine now but the whole thing was pretty shocking.

 

I'm actively looking for protective cases and we'll definitely be using a ziplock back whenever we do anything outdoors. While it seems like it is going to work out okay I don't know if there is any way to know if internal damages occurred. I guess only time will tell.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Sr. Member

Just to add....these are the steps I would recommend if your phone was exposed to water:

 

(1) IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE BATTERY. VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
(2) As soon as possible (preferably within 20-30 minutes). dissassemble the phone using Torx T6 screwdriver. (Get this off eBay or service depots, etc) Make an emergency trip to Sears/RadioShack/ACE/service depot/etc.
(3) Clean/dry as much as you can, using Q-Tips
(4) Dry the electronics components under a desk lamp on a paper towel for 24 hours.
(5) Use a blow dryer, set on warm. Blow dry the phone. Make sure your battery are out of the phone.

(6) You can also leave the battery out.. Leave your phone out in the sun. Let it dry.
(7) Put your phone in rice for 24 hours w/ battery out
(8) Reassemble the phone
(9) Put back together
(10) Only now it's safe to put the battery back in.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Member

I don't know about tearing it apart. I think I'll avoid that.

 

As for the phone, I used it for a day and it seems to be working for the most part. The only issue I've seen is that the indicator light sometimes gets confused and shows charging when it is not or shows the red indicator at times when it still has plenty of charge. But most of the time the indicator seems to be correct. 

 

I think the worst thing is that I'm totally paranoid now.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Sr. Member

 


giagejoe wrote:

I don't know about tearing it apart. I think I'll avoid that.

 

As for the phone, I used it for a day and it seems to be working for the most part. The only issue I've seen is that the indicator light sometimes gets confused and shows charging when it is not or shows the red indicator at times when it still has plenty of charge. But most of the time the indicator seems to be correct. 

 

I think the worst thing is that I'm totally paranoid now.


You don't have to take the phone apart then.just do the other steps if you want. They really do work.I've saved many phones that were exposed to water.

 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Member

I'd also spring for the insurance if I were you...espeically if you're still in the initial 30 days....then if it craps out on you for ANY reason...or you DO drop it in a toilet or glass of beer...ar least you can get a replacement for only the deductable. 

 

This is the FIRST phone I've ever had insurance on....too many things can go wrong with it and its just too sensitive.  I could throw some of me other phones off a building and they would still work....but it seems the more sophistcated these handsets get...the more delicate they are.  Had my LG enV Touch for 11 months with no issue...then my screen died (no idea why)  -- gort a warranty replacement no problem....2 weeks later I dropped it and shattered the screen....uninsured...so I ended up with the Ally by stealing my husbands upgrade....(and I added the **bleep** insurance....) 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Member

I found my Ally floating at the bottom of our boat at the end of a log ride at Adventureland last month. I pried the battery off right away and dried the whole thing with a towel, then set it in the sun while we had lunch. Three hours later it was working fine---I guess I should consider myself lucky. But I'm at the swimming pool every day with it, it sits in our humid bathroom and we've been rained on too, without any problems.

 

My PDA prior to the Ally was a Samsung i760. I never had problems with water with it either, but two days ago I did just buy a rubberized plastic case for the Ally. I bought it because of its cool color, but it does give the battery some extra protection. And having a plastic bag around "just in case" is a good idea that I've never thought about. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Sr. Member

I'm amazed your phone worked again, pumpkin. Although LG does make some tough phones. I had an LG phone that I took everywhere ... skiing, beach, camping ... and it never quit.

 

Admittedly, the plastic bag doesn't make me the coolest person around, but I don't really care.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG Ally and One Drop of Water

Sr. Member

 


SydneyK wrote:

I'm amazed your phone worked again, pumpkin. Although LG does make some tough phones. I had an LG phone that I took everywhere ... skiing, beach, camping ... and it never quit.

 

Admittedly, the plastic bag doesn't make me the coolest person around, but I don't really care.


I agree. LG phones are pretty durable. I have always stuck to LG phones from Verizon. One of my old old LG flip phones got wet with a hose. I soaked the whole phone & phone still worked after!  Not to forget I also dropped that phone quite a few times. It refused to die

 

0 Likes