LG Ally It won't stay turned off and texting.
Katwork

I just bought two Allys. The one I gave my son will stay turned off until he decides to turn it on.  Also, while it is charging, his screen goes into sleep mode.  The one I have will not stay turned off.  If it is turned off and I plug it in to charge, it will turn back on.  I then turn it off again. It is off for about 3 seconds, then turns itself back on again.  The whole time it charges the screen NEVER goes into sleep mode.  If I turn it off and leave it (not charging), it periodically will sound as though it is coming on again and the screen will light.  Within about 5 seconds, the noise stops and the screen again goes blank.  Have any of you had this happen to yours?  I think I should take it back.  What are your thoughts?

Also, I can receive texts, but it will not send them.  Any thoughts?

I appreciate all the help I can get.  This is my first Smartphone, and......it doesn't seem to be very smart so far.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Ally It won't stay turned off and texting.
DJ_Boxer
Contributor - Level 1

First let me ask you some questions:

1)What is the version of Android on both Ally's?

2) On the Ally that is not working and if it is 2,1 then see if you can back up your information and do a restart. (I don't have an Ally yet but Customer Service or someone else with one should be able to help you with the details).

DJ

0 Likes
DJ_Boxer
Contributor - Level 1

On the subject of Text/SMS: I know with my Tour and with a family members Curve2 that you have to send it and then you have to go to the resend option and then it sends.

DJ

0 Likes
Katwork

Thanks for answering.  It is a 2.1 with all updates done.  I am hoping someone on this blog has had the same problem and fixed it.  I sure don't want to reset if I don't have to.

0 Likes
Katwork

Thanks for your reply.  Wow, sounds like you and your family member have a problem almost as bad as mine.  I have never seen texting where you have to do what you are doing with the Curve(s) to send a message. 

I guess I will just have to go back to the Verizon office and be ready to be there at least 2 hours waiting on someone to help.

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Katwork wrote:

I just bought two Allys. The one I gave my son will stay turned off until he decides to turn it on.  Also, while it is charging, his screen goes into sleep mode.  The one I have will not stay turned off.  If it is turned off and I plug it in to charge, it will turn back on.  I then turn it off again. It is off for about 3 seconds, then turns itself back on again.  The whole time it charges the screen NEVER goes into sleep mode.  If I turn it off and leave it (not charging), it periodically will sound as though it is coming on again and the screen will light.  Within about 5 seconds, the noise stops and the screen again goes blank.  Have any of you had this happen to yours?  I think I should take it back.  What are your thoughts?

Also, I can receive texts, but it will not send them.  Any thoughts?

I appreciate all the help I can get.  This is my first Smartphone, and......it doesn't seem to be very smart so far.

Sorry about the problems you are seeing.  I'm surprized you're Son's Ally is turning off during a Charge, normally they stay on.  The Screen should go into Sleep mode at the interval you set, like 30 Sec, 1 Minute, so on but the phone is on with the LED Lite displaying the charge status, Red, White, or Green.  What do you have your Screen time out set to???  Look under Settings>> Sound & Display>> at the very bootom of the menu is Screen TImeout..

The Ally you have that keeps power cycling sounds like there is an issue with it.  I know you are running Android 2.1 but what version of LG Software do you have in the Ally?  It should be version 'ZV6'  to find this out,, Look in the settings> About Phone>> and at the very bottom "SW Version"  It should end with 'ZV6"

With the Txt messages, we have seen some issue we think are with Android delaying messages...  Not stoping them but some times they come in groups...  Is this what you are seeing?  Are there any Errors?  Have you checked with Verizon to make sure your settings on the network end are correct?

SOmeone mentioned reseting the phone...  You can do this if you like, it will erase all of your Personal Data and any Apps you have added, but it will restore the phone to the Factory defaults, just like it came out of the Box...  I have seen this clear up some oddities... 

Let me know what I can do to help.

0 Likes
aestrada

i have had problems with texting with the Ally also.  I have had it for a week and it only texted out for 1 day -

I checked the SW version and mine says ZV8 - could that be the problem why my text will not send?

I have so many calls into support and an engineer checking my networking end and still no luck.  This is the 3rd phone we tried.  Looking for an answer -- If I need to put version ZV6 on my phone - how do I do that and where would I find the right version.  And yes I did the turn on and off business also - still no luck.    HELPPPPPPPPP

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

aestrada wrote:

i have had problems with texting with the Ally also.  I have had it for a week and it only texted out for 1 day -

I checked the SW version and mine says ZV8 - could that be the problem why my text will not send?

I have so many calls into support and an engineer checking my networking end and still no luck.  This is the 3rd phone we tried.  Looking for an answer -- If I need to put version ZV6 on my phone - how do I do that and where would I find the right version.  And yes I did the turn on and off business also - still no luck.    HELPPPPPPPPP

Unfortunately you can't downgrade your Firmware and I don't think Ver 6 would help anyway.   We're looking into what might be causing these issue.  I'm sure support has had you do a Master reset on the Ally, haven't they?  Are you getting errors?  Do the Txts ever get sent, after being delayed? 

I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes