LG Ally Android 2.2 Update
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

It looks like Android 2.2 is coming to the Ally...  I'll give out more info if I hear anything.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Ally Android 2.2 Update
tt1080i
Contributor - Level 1

Always thought it would.

I read by the end of the year but you are the man so "Tell Us"

that is the $64,000000 question.

A lot of us feel little respect from most forums and reviewers.

But this bad boy is a dark horse that is really cool and functional!!

Thanks

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank goodness!  Can't wait for it.  Yes, please keep us in the loop. 

0 Likes
tt1080i
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Verizon preventing the use of a few 2.2 features that didn't exist in 2.1 is hardly a net negative, the 2.2 update will still be a great improvement to the Ally and other phones that get it.  As it is you had to be able to root your phone and install special applications to make these features work, and you also had to be willing to violate the terms of your service with Verizon.

If there's a lock with something cool behind it, someone will break it, they'll never fully stop rooting, etc.  The sky just isn't falling, it's really about the same color it was yesterday...

0 Likes
tt1080i
Contributor - Level 1

I am talking about net neutrality and abilities of the phone that WERE working but were crippled after an update.

At&t who does cripple their andoid users And Verizon have been in meeting on capitol hill for the last 5 weekes working out a deal

really with big buisness who is our goverment about controlling access to internet services.

You should read about it. Bueacuse they want to control what content is delivered to who and at what speeds.

Al Franken been out there fighting for our internet freedoms.

So that is nice you don't have a problem with this...

I sure do

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

tt1080i wrote:

I am talking about net neutrality and abilities of the phone that WERE working but were crippled after an update.

At&t who does cripple their andoid users And Verizon have been in meeting on capitol hill for the last 5 weekes working out a deal

really with big buisness who is our goverment about controlling access to internet services.

You should read about it. Bueacuse they want to control what content is delivered to who and at what speeds.

Al Franken been out there fighting for our internet freedoms.

So that is nice you don't have a problem with this...

I sure do

Ok... my above post was in response to reports that Verizon was crippling the tethering and mobile hotspot functions on the Motorola Droid and your insinuation by the person who originally posted the link that an upgrade to 2.2 would be what was "wished for" because it likely won't include those features for the Ally.

If you were talking about net neutrality, which is an issue that is quite distinct from crippling the hardware capabilities of cellular phones, then you should have posted a different link.

I DO have a problem with Verizon and other providers crippling the capability of phone hardware, but I don't think there's much to be done to stop them, and I also don't think the potential lack of official tethering and hotspot features on certain phones should make people not look foward to the 2.2 upgrade.

I also DO have a serious issue with net neutrality, and I have read about it, although not in the link you posted.  There are very good reasons to be seriously concerned about the potential of throttled access to content providers who don't have the money to entire the people providing the networks, and I think it's really unfortunate, and quite a blow to my confidence in them, that Google would consider allowing that type of structure on wireless devices in their agreements with Verizon.  I don't know how all of this is going to shake out, and I hope that the FCC and Google are still ready to find a creative way to preserve the value of telecom business and fair and equal access to content on the internet.  If they don't, we'll have to rely on good, old fashioned grassroots innovation, which will suck for a while, but see the comments above about locks, they're all destined to be broken.

For the moment though, I'm still excited to hear that the Ally is getting 2.2.  It's a great upgrade and I think it will have great benefits for users of that device.

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any updates as to when the Ally will be getting the 2.2 update?  I keep hearing about it on other phones but no mention of the Ally. 

0 Likes
tfch8184

Is this Android 2.2 update the same update that will allow Apps to be saved on a memory card...If so I hope it comes fast! I am a little fanatical about being able to save stuff on my memory card rather than hogging up all my phones memory. I love my Ally though, in all the years Ive had cell phones Ive never once had a problem with an LG phone to date. Even my ENV2 which was spiked off the ground numerous times never broke until I forgot I stuck it on the roof of my car and ran over it. LOL... Way to go LG for making yet another awesome phone!!!! I cant wait for the 2.2 update, Ill be able to get more apps without worrying about killing my phones memory.

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any idea as to when the Ally is getting the 2.2 update?  I'm hearing all this stuff about 8/18 being THE day for a lot of other phones, but nothing about the Ally.  Beginning to feel left out here.......

if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.......

0 Likes