Re: LG Ally 2.1 Update starts Fri 9/17/10
stevej41

I got the update Thursday and, as with everyone else, got Skype and CityID.  How do I keep them from starting up everytime I turn on the phone?  They are devouring memory that I want to use for something else.  I don't want them.  It's my phone, dammit -- get them the heck  off.  This is enough to push  me to rooting my phone, something I wouldn't normally do.

0 Likes
matchbook21

PLEASE REMOVE SKYPE, CITY ID, AND ANYTHING ELSE I DONT WANT!!!

Verizon you are being rude.

The update said the battery life would be better. It would be better IF your lame forced apps weren't constantly running! Instead it is much worse.

How many negative comments must Verizon see before it listens?? Have you looked at the Skype app in the Android Market? Thousands of unhappy users that want it uninstalled yet Verizon still forces it on us.

City ID is the dumbest app ever. Like I care what city you are calling from!  It just slows down the actual phone.

"Rule the Air"... More like:  "Don't Rule Your Own Phone!"

0 Likes
Rocco

Improvements?  Some.  

Satisfied? No.

City ID is a subscription based application that I neither wanted nor needed.  The application was pushed to my phone without my knowledge or consent.  According to these forums there is no way to remove it.  Now I've got an unwanted app eating up memory and battery life, with no real way to kill it.  And I've got to worry about pushing the wrong button after a call and having to fight to get a subscription fee removed from my bill.

I'm extremely disappointed that Verizon would push what amounts to adware onto my phone.   I've contacted Verizon, detailing my concerns.  

0 Likes
onepercentofone

Ever since I received this update I have three apps that will not work properly after my LG Ally has been turned off. I received the update and noticed the City ID app and Skype (Which I had already uninstalled because I didn't want it!). Then I noticed in my apps menu that two of them no longer displayed their orginal icons. This was Fandango and RadioTime (Which is an app I paid for). The Skype Icon also no longer has it's origianl icon. When tapping these icons to open the apps, they dispaly the force close error! I uninstalled Fandango and RadioTime but could not uninstall Skype, only the update (Again, not that I want Skype on my phone anyways, Verizon! Should I not be allowed to remove Socialite as well?? I have the Twitter and Facebook apps already which are far better!). Anyways, I went back to the Android market and looked up the Download menu. There re-installed Radio Time, the Skype update (Ugh) and re-installed Fandango from the App Market. They all downloaded and installled ok, but upon having my phone shut down because they battery went dead (Improved battery life??? No!!!), I charged it back up and saw that the same thing happens to the apps when I go back to open them up! Force close errors for each one and still showing the default androd icons instead of their original icons in the app menu! What is this all about?? I can not keep my phone on FOREVER, especially if the battery peformance is still poor! How can the phone use so much battry life when just in standby anways?? It's like I have to keep my phone plugged in and charging when ever I'm not using it because it will drain just sitting there and now this! I would not care if there was a problem with the Skype App if I could remove it! I like my Fandango app, I get use out it! I PAID for RadioTime and don't appreciate this update screwing up like this! How do I fix this mess??

0 Likes
onepercentofone

Yes, I did notice the Corporate Directory as well, another app I have no use for and can't remove. I did noticed the YouTube Widget was not connecting for a While as well as the app itself. Recently both worked again and I noticed the "Subscription Updates" and "Recommended" links on the widget as well. The Android home is running slow as well on my Ally and CONSTANTLY has forced closes. How can you have so many force closes on just a home menu?? I use the LG home now. It's not as fast as the Android home WAS, but I don't have all the force closes either!

0 Likes
onepercentofone

Same exact problem I'm having with some of my apps!

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, not very happy with the update either.  My battery life has gotten much worse over the last 3 days.  But it won't matter much longer - purchased an Incredible last Friday, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive.  Then it is bye bye Ally.  Enough is enough. 

"if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning..."

0 Likes
dweebo

cfd3rd wrote:

Got my update today (09/21/10).  Since the update I have lost the ability to use 4 of my most used apps.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  After doing this they work until I turn off then on the phone.  Then all 4 apps will not work.  2 of the apps were paid for and I contacted the developers.  They were no help.  I lost the data in one of the apps.  I'm not too happy with this update.  Everything was working fine prior.  Now what, the money paid for those apps are gone along with the hours of info and data I put into it?

I'm an app developer and this update has effected many of my users (with the LG Ally).  Uninstalling/reinstalling fixes the problem temporarily but then after a reboot the issue is back.

I provided the app to user's outside the market and the problem was fixed.  The only difference is the version from the Market has "copy-protection" enabled.  So my guess is Verizon messed up apps with copy-protection somehow.

Just a tip if you are experiencing issues with apps, ask the app developers if the issue is with copy-protection and if they will turn copy-protection off in the Market or provide the app to you some other way.  

-Peter

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

Who is responsible for this irresponsible update?  Did VZW do it or LG?  I want to make sure I am letting the right entity know what my thoughts are on the update.

0 Likes
Leslie1
Contributor - Level 1

I do apologize but you can not reverse a software enhancement. If you are not able to receive a text turn phone off and take out battery for 1-2 minutes put back in and turn on and see if text you have not received will come up. Leslie

0 Likes