Re: Kyocera Brigadier Display breaks down roughly once a week. Only a Factory Data reset can repair it.
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm waiting for the phone to mess up again to test and see if this fix works reliably. I forgot the day but looking at my previous post I see that it was on the 30th that I repaired that video file.

As it stands, my last factory data reset was on 10/21/2014 @ 10:48 according to Settings>About Phone>Status>Last factory data reset and wow, just above that it shows my uptime  I didn't notice it was up that long consecutively. Figuring the hours..... I power cycle the phone in over 12 days. My Commando 4G record was much, much more....but it's a start. FWIW, my Commando had one stretch that lasted over 5 months IIRC.

Regardless, has anyone successfully used the 'fix' I described above? I'm curious to see if it worked for everyone.

See ya later...   

Re: Kyocera Brigadier Display breaks down roughly once a week. Only a Factory Data reset can repair it.
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I'm sure many of us are interested in this WesleyK  and I also like feedback on any working fix. 

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's November 11th 2014 and the display just screwed up again this morning. I had a good run I guess....sigh

Problem is...the 'fix' I thought I had doesn't work this time. I don't know if it is because I did something different that first time or if it only works once. I doubt the latter. It has to work more than once because it should be a simple rewrite of that corrupted video file.

I see in my 'fix' post that I had tried that Star Trek LCARS Lock screen and that it had worked despite the corrupt display file. It was able to wake up the screen normally.

I'm going to try that....followed by the 'fix' I thought I had. Unfortunately if that doesn't work then I'll have to bite the bullet and fire off the Factory Data Reset because I need the phone to work.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I could not find any fix from Kyocera for your problem. I feel it's a possible ROM clock code issue but I don't see Kyocera doing a new flash for the phone. I think your down to LCARS & FDR. Post and give us your results.  

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello again GalaxyClass, yes...I can't find anything from Kyocera either....

For now I'm stuck as you say, with either LCARS or doing the FDR. Although....this time I noticed something I did not the previous times, which is why I'm updating.

This time, if I go to the Lock Screen Options (when the LCARS Lock Screen Go App is off and the phone is using the default Lock Screen) and turn them off the display will work properly. Unfortunately, I can't leave the phone that way because the power button gets bumped in my pocket and all heck will be caused with the touchscreen, etc.

Right now, I haven't done the FDR. Since I can wake the screen with LCARS I can run down to the Verizon Store and get their input. If I disable LCARS I can show them exactly what it is doing by enabling and disabling the Lock Screen Security (including the simple Swipe).  I wasn't able to show them before because I didn't have time to go to Verizon immediately and once the FDR was done the phone worked fine for a week so what was I to show them? LOL

I think I'll get in touch with Kyocera again via the link you gave Galaxy, thanks for that again.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

No problem Wes and I hope you and the others get this bug out.   

0 Likes
chandear
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know if this would help but I took out my SD card and now it works perfect. I just got the problem today and found this forum before resetting my phone. I thought of taking out the SD card and seeing what that would do and now the problem has stopped with out resetting my phone. Hope this helps

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Chandear,

At one point I was able to cause the screw up by plugging in the Sony 32GB MicroUSB/USB Micro Vault I think they call it. I plugged that into the microUSB plug (in addition to my 32GB SD card) to backup a few things and after a somewhat long copy the systemUI (I forget the name exactly but it was mentioned earlier in the thread) error popped up and the display was messing up again.  That made me suspect the SD card the same as you.

Unfortunately, the phone did work for a while but I did end having the phone mess up eventually. I don't remember how long it took that time so I can't say how much it helped.

That said, in my last posts I mentioned trying a Launcher and a Lock Screen app to see if it could fix it. I also thought I had a fix of sorts by switching the runtime from Dalvik to Art and back again in the Developer Options but it turns out that isn't exactly cut and dry either. It didn't work as it did the 1st time I tried it. The first time I switched from dalvik to art and it went through my apps "upgrading the phone" and then when I switched back it did the same thing but most importantly the display would work fine again. It would go to sleep and wake up without the Launcher or the Lock Screen app even being needed. I don't know what changed but it didn't work this time.

Now, as it stands, my phone is working just fine and my Last Factory Data Reset is shown in About Phone>Status as being 10/21/2014 10:48

Oddly enough, I don't know what I did to fix it this last time. I went through the fix as mentioned above and it didn't work so I left it alone for a couple of days. I left the LCARS Lock Screen since it was able to wake my screen and didn't do anything for two days other than normal use. Phone calls, texts now and again, audible audiobook listening, etc. Then I tried removing the LCARS Lock Screen app and the phone worked ok. I had the phone back to using the default lock screen and it worked just fine. I'm still scratching my head. I wish I knew what happened.

One last thing I thought I'd mention. I don't know if this would have done it back when it first started but going to Settings > Lock Screen > Screen Lock and choosing None would let the display wake normally. When I chose Swipe or any other Lock Screen Method it would mess up again and not wake. Simple turning off the Lock Screen ability and setting it to None was enough to wake the screen. This wasn't a good fix for me obviously because I can't leave it that way. When in my pocket for example the power button gets nudged and all kinds of things happen when icons get "pressed", etc.

Regardless, that alone was enough to get the display to temporarily wake up normally. I thought I had tried this at the start, back when this first started, and I thought it didn't do anything but I might be wrong....so much has happened since then.

Sorry for writing a short novel....I really should learn to better "sum up" instead of babbling on.....

grguth

Just found this thread. This is exactly what I am experiencing with my Brigadier. I have to use it with no lock screen or it will do the same exact thing as described above. This is my second phone as I had to send the first one in when it wasn't working and the second one did the exact same thing.

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hang in there grguth, I'm hoping Kyocera puts out a ROM update soon. We can't be that small a minority. I myself have sent back two Brigadiers and am on my 3rd so far. Tech support thought it was the phone as well and that by replacing it the problem would go away. Sad to say it did not but a problem that happens roughly once a week is difficult to pin down....

At least you know you are not alone. There is so much in this thread I don't know if you noticed but there is a Launcher that makes the Lock Screen work again, in cast you don't want to do the Factory Data Reset to fix it.  I do not like the windows 8 GUI setup so I don't use it but if you go to the Google Play Store and download "Launcher 8 Free (fakeWP8)" from the QiHang Dev Team the Lock Screen that Launcher uses wakes the screen normally.  There is also another Launcher that I like enough to use as my default Launcher, it is called the "Go EX - Most Installed"  and while it's default Lock Screen doesn't work I have installed the Star Trek LCARS Red Lock Screen and it works as well.  This last time when the display stopped working I changed the Lock Screen to the LCARS one for a couple of days and it seemed to fix the display problem. Now I have it back to the default Brigadier Lock Screen, which I prefer. Why or how it works and/or fixes the problem I have no clue...wish I did. I use this fix because I dislike having no lock screen at all and I don't want to do the Factory Data Reset and have to put everything back. My last FDR date is 10/21/2014

Hope this helps you grguth.