KitKat update on my RAZR M is horrible!!! Will there be a "fix"?
DesertMama
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will there be a "fix" for the KitKat update on my RAZR M phone??  I ran the update last week on my phone....lots of "cosmetic" changes on the phones screen - the app icons look a little nicer, etc.  However, I could not send or receive texts.  I tried restarting several times.  I finally took it to Verizon store, where they tried a "soft reboot", a "hard reboot", etc. and still no luck.  Then, he went into the app itself, and hit "clear data", and it seemed to do the trick - I am now able to send and receive texts...but they take forever to send and receive.  And, sending texts to a group is totally different - they don't show up as separate conversation with each person, they show up as individual conversations under one heading (the list of names in the group I sent to)...very aggravating.  Also, I used to be able to go up to the little "menu" in the upper right corner, and "insert smiley" - that is no longer an option!  Also, I cannot multi-select messages within a "conversation" (under a person's name) to delete - I have to select message I want deleted, then the drop down menu comes up and I can select to delete that one message (or lock, forward, etc.)...

The flashing LED light doesn't work quite right.  It used to flash green when I received a text message or email message and blue when I had FaceBook notifications.  Now it blinks a sort of white-blue color for any and all notifications.  It does still blink red for low battery.

ALL of my ringtones were reset...every single one of them. I had ringtones set for various callers, various notifications, etc., but every single one of them was changed to a "default" ringtone - and not even the "default" that they were when the phone was brand new. I've had to go back in and reset every single calendar, email, facebook, alarm, ringtone, etc.  Very frustrating!!!

The alarm function/interface is totally different...not just the change in the alarm tone, but the actual physical appearance.  Not sure I'm at all happy about it.

The battery life sucks now.  My battery will be half dead halfway thru the day...and that's with minimal use!!  I can usually be at 80% battery life by noon - with this new "update", I'm lucky the phone doesn't die by noon!!!

Also, I keep getting random error messages...the latest was something like "Google Search has quit working/responding" - and I wasn't even using Google Search - I had just opened phone to check a text message!!!  What the heck??

Wi-fi signal strength doesn't seem so good either, even when right next to the wi-fi antenna at work...my little wi-fi "wedge" indicator at top of phone display never gets "full", and it never turns blue anymore.

Signal strength sucks...and I lose GPS signal when using my Maps app in areas I've never had trouble in before!

I have a little banner I set up on my phone on the "phone lock screen" that has my name and lists my drug allergies just in case.  It is still there - but a lot smaller, harder to read.  I tried finding where I can go in and modify it (settings - display), but nowhere in there is a place to modify that banner - I can only modify Brightness, Wallpaper, Font Size, etc....

I'm so very unhappy and frustrated.  I can deal with a few cosmetic changes, but this is totally ridiculous!!!  Can this info please be shared with the developers?  Can you tell me if there will be any updates or "fixes" to this update that will address these issues??

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: KitKat update on my RAZR M is horrible!!! Will there be a "fix"?
mikejersey
Enthusiast - Level 1

DesertMama, I'm with you on this. I wish I hadn't ok'd the upgrade for kitkat. It is truly frustrating, and my phone battery is drained faster and now (on a different subject) I don't receive texts from my wife's workplace.  She gets mine okay, but all I get from her is the address it was sent from; no message. I get everybody else's messages, just not hers and it's driving me batty.

Maybe there's a way to UNINSTALL kitkat.  I'd do that in a heartbeat and go back to all my old, faithful, reliable settings!!!

DesertMama
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hear you!  I wish wish WISH I could uninstall the update!!!  The tech rep at my Verizon store said I couldn't...resetting it back to factory settings won't even undo the update!  I'm beyond frustrated.  I have loved this phone, and only had it a year, so I'm stuck with it and it's crummy update until they either "fix" the update, or I can upgrade to a different phone.  Smiley Sad

DesertMama
Enthusiast - Level 2

PS - I'm so glad I'm not the only one suffering....maybe if enough of us complain, they'll fix it??

NeeNeeBill
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone battery went from 76% to 2% on Monday -- and I had Data turned OFF. I just bought my phone in February, and now I am stuck with it -- everything you reported above also happened to my phone -- the defaults ringtones and notifications being almost as frustrating as having to charge my phone all day -- every day.

I also get random messages displayed that something stopped working -- when I hadn't used the app AT ALL. My camera also behaves completely differently. This is a terrible update and I have been told by multiple Verizon Wireless Store personnel that I can upgrade my phone -- but that nothing can be done to "fix" the update on the Razr M. I love when they try to point out the great "improvements" such as a SMALLER PATTERN UNLOCK -- which is not at all helpful. OR the "Quick Settings" which don't actually make anything quicker. Plus, my phone recorder app that I LOVED and PAID FOR -- only records static unless I am on Speaker Phone -- and doesn't work at all with Bluetooth like it used to.

I am so frustrated -- Smiley Sad

cdcox67
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nice to see I am not the only one who wants to get rid of kitkat. This upgrade is junk. I do agree that the icons are more appealing to the eye, but come on, FUNCTIONALITY of the phone is MORE IMPORTANT. At least to me. Can not understand why it can not be uninstalled?? I will never allow another OS update again before researching it.

Hate that the Icons on the top are now WHITE? So much easier to see them and the signal when they were BLUE.

Removed the "silent mode" slider from the lock screen?? Really, so now I have to unlock the phone to turn the volume off?? Not to mention what everyone else is complaining about, battery life STINKS! Not really sure why they are boasting about ANY improvements to this os?

jejouelaflute
Enthusiast - Level 2

I HATE this upgrade.  Hoping they fix it soon.  I noticed today that my camera sucks now!  Used to work great but now I can't get the camera to focus and it takes forever for a picture to be snapped which inevitably ends up blurry because one can't hold still long enough.  Hate pretty much everything about this and it ruined my phone which I loved, that I am stuck with for another year!

0 Likes