Issue with newest update for Galaxy S3 to KitKat
gnosticguardian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently we had an update to KitKat for the Galaxy S3 and since I have had numerous issues with inability to upload or download to many apps (including Verizon's), and having issues with my side key (power off/on/sleep/wake up). This key will no longer put the device to sleep and instead will freeze momentarily, go to the lock screen and prompt multiple times to power off or restart the device. I know this sounds like a hardware issue but this phone has spent it's life in an Otterbox and was working properly albeit slow prior to the KitKat update. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Issue with newest update for Galaxy S3 to KitKat
AZSALUKI
Legend

my wife's s3 is wonky too (the side power botton), after receiving the 4.4.2 update. i plan on doing a factory reset when i have time and she finds her google pw....lol. i know a factory reset is a bit of a hassle, but my experience has been that they are more or less necessary with any major android update to a phone.

gnosticguardian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was ready for an upgrade anyways so I have an S5 on the way and I agree a factory reset may help. I'll probably try this and post my results. I'm more asking this for anyone else's benefit because the update has clearly affected many users in different ways. Worst case I'll just reprogram it since it won't be on the network and I'll be using it for tablet purposes anyway.

0 Likes
gnosticguardian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a complete Restore to Default on my S3. I'm still having the same issues just so you know. The update is still my number one suspect for these issues.

Keets

I am upgrading it right now, and it is taking over 40 minutes already.

Anybody else experience that?

It keeps cycling between Samung startup, Galaxy SIII and Verizon.

Thoughts?

0 Likes
jj87
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done a reset and did not help my issue one bit. Of course, the issue I have started with the update previous to this one, but is now insanely worse. My phone would randomly go to lock screen as I was using it and then it froze for about 20 seconds. It was annoying before but didn't happen all the time. Now, after Kit Kat update, this problem can happen 5 times in a row, as I'm getting phone calls so I can't answer.. and no exaggerating just happens every time I use my phone and many times within a few minutes. It's very frustrating.

0 Likes
AmandaReine
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am so irritated with this update, I cannot even begin to describe how absolutely frustrating it has been to try to use my phone in the last few days.

It freezes EVERY time I unlock the phone. No, I am not exaggerating, it freezes everytime.  The fingerprint swipe is a joke now, I get locked out after 5 attempts, even though I have only tried to swipe my finger twice.

The home key no longer works to light up my screen unless I tap on it about 10 times. If I hit the power button the screen lights up and then goes dark immediately. It takes at least a full minute before I can unlock my phone.

I have the pop-up feature enabled for text messages but I can't get it to close, I have to stop the message program to get the pop-up to go away and then reopen message program again.

The battery dies within 3-4 hours and that's with me being at work and rarely using it other than to send a text message here and there. It also now takes forever to charge.

Have I mentioned how disappointed I am? 

0 Likes
Carolinatwin

I am having the same issue.  I did the KitKat update on my Galaxy 3.  My Galaxy 3 worked perfectly before the update.  Now, it is horrible.  Here are some of the issues: randomly shuts off, touch wizard does not work, freezes randomly and during phone calls, can not use touch screen during phone calls, can not answer an incoming call, can not end a phone call and can not pull down the shade  Location settings are different than Jelly Bean and don't work well with even the pre-installed apps.  And to make the whole update worse, after downloading it my battery life dropped by more than 50%. I use to have atleast 12 hours with moderate usage.  Now I get about 3-4 hours.  I want to put the phone in my junk pile with my old HTC Incredible.  I would do anything to roll back to Jelly Bean and have a perfect phone again.  A patch is seriously needed to resolve these issues.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

have you tried a factory reset? it's a hassle, but it will usually fix most issues. just backup anything you want before you do it, as it will completely wipe the phone. i pull out the external micro sd card as well, just to be safe. this way, you'll keep anything on the sd card.

0 Likes
king44

It seems Verizon really does not care if the phone you pay for works or not. I have posted in two threads about my phone not working properly (the touchscreen freezes about every 30 seconds). No responses or any of them, no solutions offered, no update of fixes.

The phone went from being great to a total POS and they don't seem to care in the least.

0 Likes