Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
luluvin77
Member

I purchased the Eris 2 weeks ago, got the OTA update a few days later, and have been experiencing frequent freezes multiple times/day. It happens when I try to hang up from a call, when trying to just unlock the screen, or in between random screens and/or programs.

 

I have not downloaded many apps, and the ones that I do have all are 4.5 or 5 stars, and do not have any comments in Market about causing crashes or freezes.

 

Brought the phone into Verizon Wireless in Princeton, NJ and was told by the manager that since they couldn't force it to freeze while troubleshooting it for 15 mins, I would have to either leave the phone there for a few days as they played around with it to experience a freeze, or I could wait there for however long it would take for it to freeze to prove it to them...is this normal?? Or, I could pay the $35 restocking fee and get a new one, even though I am only 2 weeks into my 30 day worry free period...

 

Has anyone experienced this issue? Am I out of options here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
wmcanally
Member

I have never been denied to return a phone during the 15 day trial period.  I would ask to speak to the area manager.

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
tonypagoria
Member

Yes I had that issue with my droid. The same thing happened when I brought it in to the store. Call in to customer service tell them how dissappointed you are with the service you got at the store and tell them you have only had it for 2 weeks and they will do an advanced replacement for you. You should get the phone within 3 days. I did that and  it worked. And I had the phone for over 30 days. But when I brought it to the store I got it at it was within 2  weeks. And they did it cause they said the store should not of asked any questions and replaced it. So dial 611 and talk to customer service. It will work.

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
tonypagoria
Member

But I was having the same exact issues with the driod. But as soon as the new 2.01 update came out it fixed it. So i there is a new update coming out for the eris that should take care of it. But I dont blame you for wanting a new one. Update or not I would without a doubt call customer service.

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
PPC_Dude
Novice

luluvin77 wrote:

I purchased the Eris 2 weeks ago, got the OTA update a few days later, and have been experiencing frequent freezes multiple times/day. It happens when I try to hang up from a call, when trying to just unlock the screen, or in between random screens and/or programs.

 

I have not downloaded many apps, and the ones that I do have all are 4.5 or 5 stars, and do not have any comments in Market about causing crashes or freezes.

 

Brought the phone into Verizon Wireless in Princeton, NJ and was told by the manager that since they couldn't force it to freeze while troubleshooting it for 15 mins, I would have to either leave the phone there for a few days as they played around with it to experience a freeze, or I could wait there for however long it would take for it to freeze to prove it to them...is this normal?? Or, I could pay the $35 restocking fee and get a new one, even though I am only 2 weeks into my 30 day worry free period...

 

Has anyone experienced this issue? Am I out of options here?


I would try a different store, or at least a different rep. The manager is probably within his/her rights to deny an exchange without proof of a problem, but, in my opinion, it's not a very good way to treat your customers. My experiences with VZW sales/service has always been pretty good, so I would try a different store if that's a possibility.
0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
tonypagoria
Member

Im telling you call 611 right now and you will be surprised with the outcome. customer service is much more helpful and understanding than the [edit] in the store. The store by me, they are very ignorant also.

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
reallyniceguy
Novice
within the 30 days , 611 customer care can not replace, after 30 days they can., You have a 1 year warranty, The store has to duplicate the problem in order to get it replaced. They may think you just want to get a new one just because, youd be surprised how many people try to do that. Still, you are in your legal right to get it replaced. Ask for a manager. If you are planning on staying with verizon, give it 30 days and call in to customer service, they will have tech replace it in no time.
0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
jma4141
Member

I learned a few years back that its best to go into the Verizon store to try out the phones and then go online and order it.

 

The rebate is instant, its next day delivery, and they include a return Fed Ex postage if you want to return it.  Basically the store and authorized dealers are all commission/profit driven.  I swear by the customer service over the phone, and I have had all of the carriers in the past and Verizons is the best.  I returned my Droid too, only because there is a better version coming out in  the beginning of 2010.

 

J

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
levon
Member

 


wmcanally wrote:

I have never been denied to return a phone during the 15 day trial period.  I would ask to speak to the area manager.


 

15 day trial period? I thought it was 30 (at least for the Eris .. or does this vary?)

 

0 Likes
Re: Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris
levon
Member

 


jma4141 wrote:

  I returned my Droid too, only because there is a better version coming out in  the beginning of 2010.

 

J


 

Hi, what better version? Are you talking about a software upgrade or some new hardware running Android?

 

0 Likes