Is there an International charger adaption package for Droids like there is for the Blackberry Tour?
ladyofthelakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is the experience you may have had using a Droid Bionic in Europe - specifically Italy?  I do NOT want to end up with a high bill for roaming charges.  I don't have to talk on the phone while in Italy, but I would like to be able to get my emails and to text if at all possible without incurring a huge bill.  Also, how does one chrage the phone there?  Just use the regular charger into an adapter or is there a special charger?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there an International charger adaption package for Droids like there is for the Blackberry Tour?
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

Never used a Droid Bionic in Italy but I can tell you that Italy runs on 230v @ 50hz and I was able to charge my phone there without issue.  In my experience, many modern electonics like cell phones and laptops have chargers/power cords that will work without use of a converter throughout much of Europe. As long as you use an adapter that allows the plug to fit in the outlet in your country of destination, you're all set. Pretty sure most of Italy uses the common "europlug" that is used in almost all european countries but I would check with your destination to be sure because Italy also uses a couple others. So, I would imagine that you just need the travel adapter and your regular charger.  But thats just my opinion.  And don't even bother playing the guessing game with international data and texting charges, jsut call VZW and ask....easier than coming home to an nuexpected bill.  When we travel to europe we turn off our mobile network access and use only wifi and wifi hotspots for emails, skype and vonage calls. 

0 Likes
Re: Is there an International charger adaption package for Droids like there is for the Blackberry Tour?
ladyofthelakes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for the great advice!  Turning off the mobile and just using the wi-fi when available is the best advice anyone has offered!  I can certainly Skype with the best of them!

Most appreciatively!

Lynda

**Removed personal info

Message was edited by: Marquia F

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ladyofthelakes, thank you for your inquiry. I understand the need for keeping costs down when traveling. The Bionic is not a global phone, and will not be able to pick up signal while in Europe since most of Europe uses GSM technology. Once more countries migrate to LTE (4G technology), then it will be able to work. You will be able to connect to wifi hotspots if available in your hotel or restaurants and access internet and email that way. If you do need to be able to use your phone on the go there, we offer a Global Travel program. There is no charge for the phone itself, you would just need to add a data plan and you would pay for any calls you make or receive. 

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes