Re: Is there a way to utilize a smartphone without having a Data Plan With Verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to lose you or your girlfriend as customers Steerpike58. I can understand your concern for wanting the best plan for your needs without paying to much a month. We have plans that can fit everyones needs plus you get to be with the nations #1 network. Check out all plans here http://vz.to/W24dla .

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to utilize a smartphone without having a Data Plan With Verizon?
crimewatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

I totally agree that forcing customers to buy data plans SHOULD be a matter for the courts to decide. In my case, money isn't the issue. I just don't want or need a data plan. Just want a phone with wi-fi capability. I could get a tablet but want something that fits in my pocket. After all, tablet manufacturers do NOT require you to buy a data plan!

If you buy a car with a navigation system, internet apps like Pandora, etc. these services do require a data plan on your phone. It is the customer who chooses whether or not to use those features. Unlike the cell carriers, the car manufacturers do NOT force customers to buy a data plan.

Asked Verizon and other carriers if I paid full price for the smartphone, they will NOT activate it without a data plan. Complete BS. Most phone WILL work on wi-fi without a data plan.

I would even go as far as saying that even if you are using whatever local free wi-fi internet connection, something in the cell carrier's system and/or phone itself is programmed to switch back and forth from the free internet connection to using your data plan.

ChicagoBob1
Enthusiast - Level 3

THEY CAN control data usage. On the family plan you can stop data usage simple by adding an extra $5 to your bill to limit it to what ever you want.

I think the current surcharge to make you buy something you don't want bites and is another reason I am thinking of going back to a cheap flip DUMB phone and tablet. These companies rates and costs are insane. It would be nice if I could read the weather from my phone and read a few news articles but the cost.. Soon I will have paid off this phone and then it will be time to convert.