Is there a glitch with the Kyocera Brigadier battery?
tygor_tora

I got a new Kyocera Brigadier a couple of months ago to replace my old Motorola Droid Razr M, and it's been everything that it was advertised to be. It's durable, water resistant, the call quality is crispy, and it plays my music no problem. The only problem I've had is that twice now, the battery has suddenly gone from being fully charged - at which point it'll last for two full days, or more if I'm not playing music on it all day - to being almost dead. The first time was a couple of weeks ago, I was at my second job, and the battery had been in the 80%-85% range when I set it to play music. Even with the screen on while playing music, it normally drains at a rate of maybe 5% or so every 20 minutes. After half an hour, I went to skip a song, and suddenly, the battery life had plummeted to 7%. I tried rebooting it, but it remained at 7% and kept draining as normal. I managed to make it last until the end of work that night and plugged in the charger as soon as I got home. It was fine after that, until this morning. I had it on the charger all night, like I always do, and it was at 99% when I finally left the house. Plugged in the auxiliary cable to play music, stopped at a light and skipping a song 15 minutes later, the battery was at 1% and the phone shut itself down. Thankfully, the red light gave me time to quickly plug in my car charger and it had charged to 19% by the time I got to work, but this is extremely odd.

I assume that it must be some sort of glitch in whatever reads how much of a charge the battery has, because if it was actually an issue with the battery itself, I should think it would be a constant thing. If anyone has a possible solution for this problem, or ideas on what might be causing it, I'd appreciate it. For reference, aside from playing music while I work and drive, I take care to conserve battery life. I don't play games on my phone, except occasionally solitaire,and always have the screen turned off when not in use.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a glitch with the Kyocera Brigadier battery?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I agree, tygor_tora. This is extremely odd behavior. Aside from the car charger, do you use the original manufacturer's charger with your device? Have you encountered an instance where the battery goes from a higher precentage to a lower level, and once connected the percentage immediately goes back up? What is the current software version installed? You can check by going to Settings>About Phone>Software Version.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tygor_tora

I use a Verizon charger with a longer cable when at home, else I'd have to set the phone on the floor because the cable that came with it doesn't reach from the outlet to my bedside table. When in the car, I use the USB charge cable that came with the phone with a car adapter. Once plugged in to charge, it charges as normal - that is to say, the percentage does not immediately return to where it should be, instead increasing at the usual rate. My phone is currently running on Android version 4.4.2 and Software version 1.723VZ

It happened again this morning at work. It is plugged into the computer I'm working at and charging now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate this information, tygor_tora. I know you mentioned you didn't have a lot of games on your device. When you check Settings>Battery, are there any apps or services that stand out for high usage? Is your music on your device preloaded from a SD card or do you use a music app? If you use a music app, do you have the most current version of the application installed?

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kornelius
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
ESVA

I, too, have had a problem with battery drain on my Kyocera Brigadier since it did a software update in early November.  From reviewing similar posts on the community, it appears that some of the more "tech savvy" owners have found that the problem is due to high data / battery usage by the email system. 

I am currently showing 15% usage by email on battery, but when i tap the battery chart in the settings/battery screen, it shows that my cellular network signal bar is mostly red and yellow (not good) while all other uses are normal or intermittent.

Am wondering if this could be the problem, as I do have problems getting a signal when I am at home within fifty feet of my network extender and have relatively poor signal elsewhere (even in large urban areas - Phila and Wilmington, DE)

Never had this issue before the update, and had battery life for more than one day most of the time.  Still using factory charger, but can't get the phone to last overnight on a charge.

Have done ALL of the steps in the device specific trouble shooting section.  ?Have no new apps running, have shut down most apps other than what is basically required to actually have a "smart phone" .

Can Verizon or Kyocera please respond to this issue!!!???

0 Likes