Is it safe to do the Lollipop update on my new S5?
MLCee

I got a new Samsung S5 about a month ago. The second day I had it it said it was ready for the Lollipop update so I did the update. After the update I could no longer send texts and the phone kept giving me a warning to make sure the back cover was tight. The next day I spent 2 hours chatting with Verizon trying to fix the problem to no avail. They told me to take my S5 back to the store and exchange it for a new one. The next day I went back to the store and spent an hour there while they tried to fix it. They called someone who told them that they were having troubles with the Lollipop update and Samsung S5s. They gave me a new phone and told me to wait to do the update. My phone is now telling me it is time to do the Lollipop update. I am not sure what to do.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is it safe to do the Lollipop update on my new S5?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The update is fine. Not only do you have to give it time to optimize, but after the update you need to hard reset the device which many refuse to do. So you get the complaints online because people don't follow protocol.

0 Likes
oleson11
Enthusiast - Level 2

MLCee, In my opinion, there is absolutely no way I would do the upgrade until I see resolution to every one of these ongoing issues. I think it is ridiculous to have to hard reset your phone as stated in the previous post. And where is the steps or "protocol" because I seemed to have not gotten that memo. I think having to wipe your phone clean and start over with setup and installation of each program on your phone is crazy but again, this is my opinion. Signed, Becky, who is still having issues with my new since Christmas Galaxy S5 since updating to Lollipop 5.0 on April 15, 2015.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

MLCee in my option the very best results you will get with an update is if you do a factory data reset BEFORE you download it. Then do another factory data reset right afterward before you add anything to the phone. Make sure all the apps that are reloaded onto the phone come from the app store and not from a backup.

Doing nothing is not an option as you can delay the download of the update only for a short time, then it is automatically installed on your phone like it or not.  Take the time and take control of this procedure regardless of what others may think.  Those others have problems with their phones because they believe they shouldn't have to jump through all the hoops to get a good update.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Medusa_Stoned

Is a month enough time to let it optimize? Because I did my update a month ago and only had some relatively minor issues with lagging and momentary freezing initially...day by day things have gotten worse but for the other later issues I wasn't even thinking of or blaming the update- I thought it was the FB app, then other things started going wrong. Lo and behold my boyfriend's phone did an update a few days ago and he was immediately experiencing some of the same issues I had been. Meanwhile mine have gotten worse. The Verizon rep I spoke to yesterday claimed not to have heard about anyone having problems with the update (seriously) and I guess she didn't know about this "protocol" because she spent 90 minutes on the phone with us trying to do all sorts of other things to fix it (some of which I'd already tried on my phone before calling)- nothing helped. That was when she finally suggested factory reset once we could back up our data, and stated if that didn't fix it we could see about replacing the phones!

I've had many updates over the years on many phones and never had to do a factory reset before and after to make my phone function properly. Whatever the case, I haven't been able to get around to trying the factory reset this time, because my videos that uploaded to the cloud and play perfectly while on the cloud (or on my phone) have downloaded to my computer sideways and upside down. So I'm trying to transfer them by other means and am still doing research before I opt for resetting.

Oh, and the other rep at the Verizon store my boyfriend went to today also didn't seem aware of your advice...instead he belittled him for allowing his phone to do the update at all (while you say it eventually would have anyway, and in fact his did automatically load itself) because he claims he never lets his phone update, and further claimed he couldn't give him any advice on how to fix the issues because he uses an iPhone, not Android. Real helpful. He also suggested replacing the phone, although I'm not sure that will help if it's going to eventually load this update. I suppose you can set it not to automatically load updates but the point is an update is supposed to add features and make the phone better, not be a big gamble you have to be afraid to try.

P.S. We have different phones, for those out there that are blaming your brand of phone.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Any rep, or any sales person, is gonna "tickle your ears", i.e tell you what you wanna hear to get you off the phone and or out the store. This forum is mainly a peer to peer forum and we will tell you how it is. As was mentioned, the hard reset will solve any and all issues. If there is a problem with that, it should be taken up with Google.

0 Likes
MLCee

A hard reset was done on my Samsung S5 after the Lollipop 5.0 update (and the problems arose) as directed by Verizon support it did no help at all. Then when I took the phone back to the store they did it again. They ended up giving me a new phone because the problems were no resolved.

0 Likes