Is Verizon doing anything to address the security flaws in Android OS?
glocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/10/android_malware_attacks/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/06/android_attack_code/

Since we currently have to wait months for OS updates after Google releases them.  Is Verizon going to start providing more timely updates that address security issues?  Are they going to stop allowing the bloatware that they installed from auto running in the back ground and gaining permissions to access info?  Its 2010 and it takes Verizon months to release software updates to there branded devices, which seemed more and more centered around bloatware then address software fixes.   

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon doing anything to address the security flaws in Android OS?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Verizon only approves firmware for release, google develops the os and the manufacturers adjust it to work with the individual phone models. This would be a question better asked of google or motorola.
0 Likes
glocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its a Verizon branded device.  Verizon decided they wanted complete control over the software, by only allowing OTA updates.  If the OS was updated directly through Google I would have some of the patches that address some of the security issues.  The updates are also not sent directly from Motorola.  Verizon market the phone, its there responsibility to make sure the phone and software function properly, and the consumer privacy is protected while using there branded equipment and while on there network.     

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
But my point is, verizon does not develop the software and whatever security flaws there may be are not exclusive to any one carrier so, until google and/or the manufacturers manage to find a way to patch them, there's not much that verizon can do short of refusing to sell android phones. Not saying it shouldn't be addressed, just saying that verizon probably won't be the one to do it.
0 Likes
Cluna78

still, they should include like a firewall program or something... no?

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I never install an app if its brand new and has no comments. What I like a bout droids is that they tell you whats running in the background. Use the native task manager(manage apps, running services) and you can see whats running in the background. its like any other os, windows has tons of malware and viruses and not all manufacturers include the antivirus. You even have to pay for it. Im not to familiar with macs but nothing works on them so I could care less if macs get viruses or not.
0 Likes