Interesting article....
budone
Legend

.... from DSLReports and rumors Verizon is going to tighten down what is available on Droids. Especially the new Fascinate. I hope it stays a rumor. But as we have said about the apps that are locked on the phones, money talks.

Article Link

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Interesting article....
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I have read that Bing is horrible. take a look at this---->Bing Blackberry I hope that other android phones that are not on Verizon don't come with Bing. i wouldn't want it on my phone when I upgrade with T-mobile later on

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
I believe it's just verizon that has a contract with bing, but with other apps, they can, and have limited what's available under the guise of "hardware capability". What's to stop them from saying we just don't want you to have that? Hopefully google steps in to maintain the integrity of their open source os.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
I hope Google steps in too. I waited patiently for the Android OS and was glad I did. But if vzn starts messing around with it more than they already do and if other carriers follow suit then I'd get an iPhone in a second. It's already beyond me as to why on earth (besides $ of course) you would put Bing on a Google OS that is PERFECT as it was!
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Well said, except for that iPhone thing :smileytongue:
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:
I hope Google steps in too. I waited patiently for the Android OS and was glad I did. But if vzn starts messing around with it more than they already do and if other carriers follow suit then I'd get an iPhone in a second. It's already beyond me as to why on earth (besides $ of course) you would put Bing on a Google OS that is PERFECT as it was!

They can't step in period.  This is one of the "problems" of being open source.  Anyone can do whatever they want with the code.  They would be going against everything that Android stands for.  Better or worse.  It's simple as IF you don't like it don't buy it.  Also there's ways around to not using Bing that doesn't require root, and you are not forced to use it.  It's a misconception and shooting the gun too early.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

I REALLY hope that other carriers will not follow pruit of having Bing on their phones. I don't want it on my phone. Icky!!  No iPhone...no way.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

nice link demmo. if someone comes up with a fix that easy to restore the entire voice command functions (not sure if their workaround covers that...or just the searching function?) then i'd have no problem with it. i have no problem with them using bing as long as i can change it to how i've learned how to use the android OS. i originally thought it was blown out of proportion until i see posts about how it interferes with the "navigate to..." command. that happens to be my FAVORITE and most usefull function. i just don't want it messed with. the reason i made the iphone comment (i've never been a fan of the iphone and have never had one) is that if vzn starts dictating what's on the device and what you can't remove (as they already do) and they start "customizing" it to suit their bottom line, without workarounds that don't require root, then it doesn't seem too different from an iphone. you take what they give you and like it. what i don't get is that it almost seems like they are pushing more and more users to root, which could only cause them headaches????

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

also....while i prefer android to the iphone....i gotta admit, this battery thing is getting annoying. the more i familarize myself with my inc, the more i am doing on it. it is gettng real close to the point where i'll have to break down and get an extended battery. i know that's not a big deal, but what i absolutely LOVED about the inc was the size. i've never owned anything apple (i use pc's, and waited for the zune to launch 3 years ago), but the battery life of the iphone is appealing, and if it were to be available on the best network, then i just may give it a test run. eh, who am i kidding.....i'd prolly just end up taking other measures if they mess up my android!!!! i've always been curios about r'ing the phone anyhow.....lol.

0 Likes