Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
1hqtiny
Enthusiast - Level 1

I understand the Nexus 5 may not come to verizon because it's not compatible, but that's a verizon issue with wanting to 100% control software. They don't have to sell these Nexus phones in the store, they don't have to "support" them as far as I'm concerned, but I should be able to use a phone like this on their network as a customer. If Verizon doesn't change their ways quickly, I'm going to have to begin looking at switching carriers when my time is up as well.

Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2
wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Pichai also made it a point to mention that Google was "working with [Verizon] on a set of projects for 2014."

So they went with option 1. Very disappointed with both of them. Mainly VZW though.

xdaxdb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Official Nexus 5 radio specifications

2G/3G/4G LTE

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10

WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19

LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

0 Likes
SpiffyItalian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm dropping Verizon. After the Galaxy Nexus fiasco, the Nexus 5 was going to be the last chance I'd give Verizon before ditching them. This is just one reason alongside a slew of anti-consumer behaviors Verizon has been engaging in. Good riddance.

smitty45
Enthusiast - Level 1

How disappointing Verizon.  I've been a customer for a long time, and I don't understand why Verizon would ostracize an awesome segment of its customers.  I'm a huge Google fan, and I want the pure Google experience.  I loved the Galaxy Nexus, and Verizon won't even approve an update for the new software even after it's been on other networks for months.  Now, Verizon has eliminated getting the Android 4.4 update by not offering the Nexus 5.  I don't give a (removed) about the FCC.  If Verizon would work with Google, then Google would have the incentive to make the Nexus 5 compatible with the network.  For example, Verizon didn't work with Apple on the iPhone, and then they lost a ton of customers to a much crappier network.  Then years later they act like innovators when they finally decide to work with Apple. I'm tired of them throwing their weight around and putting up a bunch of red tape just because they can.  Needless to say, I'll be going to T-Mobile after my contract is up, and I'm taking my friends and family with me.

PS Ann154 seems pretty intelligent, but it also seems like you're arguing points that are irrelevant and are trying to catch people on technicalities which means you're just being a dick  (See comment above "It is kind of hard to allow a device on their network when it physically doesn't have the radio hardware required to access the network").  The point is that Verizon is unwilling to work with Google on their phones, so Google threw up their hands and said bye.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

MyNewPCGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's because of days like this, that I feel even less bad about downloading 100GB+/mo on my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Verizon, suck it.

0 Likes
SuperUser

A Verizon sales representative hinted at the possibility of a Verizon specific version of the Nexus 5 sometime in the future.  This is an excerpt from a verizonwireless.com ChatNow session.

Chat transcript removed as required by Terms of Service.

0 Likes
Fred_merril
Enthusiast - Level 1

Someone needs to start a petition to get this phone.  Verizon needs to swallow is ego trip with Google and just sell the phone and keep their grubby hands out of the OS!  I'm so (removed) about the delayed updates and the blocked wallet issue on the Galaxy Nexus I can hardly stand it, it has been one of the best phones I've ever owned and would have been a perfect experience if Verizon would just support.  My last contract ends in May... They have that long to patch things up with Google or I'm out for good....

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

SamFasc2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

Key words there: "Verizon's version of the Nexus 5". WE DON'T  WANT VERIZON'S VERSION! We want Google's version to work on Verizon's network!!!!!