If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
azrmverdugo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon, I will no longer be a Verizon customer if you do not allow an unlocked Nexus 5 on your network.  I will also encourage everyone I know to drop service with you.

Labels (1)
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is kind of hard to allow a device on their network when it physically doesn't have the radio hardware required to access the network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
azrmverdugo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ah But it DOES have a compatible radio:

The document also gives us a peek at most of the device's specs, confirming

and expanding upon recent rumors – here's a quick rundown of what it

reveals.

- 4.95" 1080p display (IPS TFT for those interested)

- 32GB internal storage (other capacities not specified)

- 2GB RAM

- MSM8974 aka Snapdragon 800 at 2.3GHz

- 8MP OIS rear camera, 1.3MP front camera

- 2300mAh battery

- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Proximity/Ambient Light,

Pressure

- Slimport compatibility

- Micro SIM slot

- Notification light

- Wireless charging

- NFC

- Bluetooth 3.0 (We assume this is an

error<https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=21498> –

Bluetooth 4.0 appears elsewhere in the document, but according to the last

page it's still a draft.)

- UMTS/GSM/CDMA/LTE compatibility

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

If by chance the actual phone ends up having CDMA compatible with Verizon, why would you want it?  A Nexus phone on their network is NOT a real Nexus because the device is not updated by Google.  It's updated by Verizon, if and when Verizon chooses to release the update.  Case in point, Android 4.3 was released July 24th and Verizon has not pushed it to their Galaxy Nexus.

Additionally, just because a phone has a radio, it doesn't necessarily mean Google will enable it in the software.  Didn't the Nexus 4 technically have an LTE radio, just disabled?

Personally I doubt Verizon will ever get another Nexus phone and I hope they don't.  I'm leaving them as soon as the Nexus 5 is available for purchase.  I encourage everyone that wants a real Nexus to do the same.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you look at the FCC filing, it has the CDMA radios for the frequencies used by Sprint. The LTE frequencies don't include the band of the 700 MHz frequency used by Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The link to the FCC filing information is in this article. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/07/nexus-5-specs/

0 Likes
xdaxdb
Enthusiast - Level 2

The details regarding the radios on the Nexus 5 are a bit sketchy. However it is important to note that if Verizon wanted the Nexus 5 on their network they could have it. It's Verizon's choice to implement their over reaching policies.

I have been a Verizon customer for years, and I have been dissatisfied by the lack of control I get over my own devices. I'm sick of providers deciding what is good for me. I've had a Droid, Droid X, Droid 3, and a Droid Bionic. Each of these phones is a good piece of hardware for the time they were released. But the ridiculous amount of bloat and background services that cannot be disabled cripple the overall experience. I keep asking myself why I am paying for this

If Verizon doesn't support REAL Nexus devices in this next iteration I will be leaving.

PENNANTFEVER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please remove me form this discussion

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
rsteele
Enthusiast - Level 1

the Nexus 5 3G CDMA frequencies are 850 and 1900 MHz, both offered by VZW.

The VZW 4G LTE 1700MHz frequency-roll out is also compatible with the Nexus 5.

The main question is this: Will VZW allow the device on their network?

I for one don't care if VZW doesn't allow immediate OTA updates. With a linux machine, you could update the phone yourself. Hook up the android.org repository to your linux machine, cross compile the software for Snapdragon 800 processor, then download the latest android software to your phone. By virtue of buying the phone through Google, you are a super user (think: sudo command). So there is NO "rooting" involved. LEGITIMATE UPDATES of  the android OS. Just like Ubuntu, CentOS, etc... This is how Google builds the software. You can do it, too. That is the beauty of Open-Source software.

I wish I knew the answer. I really do. But VZW is in charge of what devices are allowed on their CDMA network.  Once they move over to VoLTE (on the 1700 MHz frequency?), then by law, they have to allow any compatible on their LTE network. So I'll keep my BB9930 with my unlimited data and wait until their roll-out of their VoLTE. But it's a plus if VZW allows the device now.

Keep our fingers crossed.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

PENNANTFEVER wrote:

Please remove me form this discussion

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Unfortunately that is something that YOU have to do. No one can remove you from the discussion except for yourself.

0 Likes