IPv6 Usage on The Verizon Cellular Network
shahark

Hi,

I'm trying to create an application that connects from a host to a mobile Android phone on the Verizon cellular network. This device uses only the 3G network and has its Wi-Fi turned off. The Android device has a listening socket.

As far as I know, Verizon uses NAT traversal for mobile phones and assigns local IP addresses to them on the cellular network.

This prevents me from initiating a connection to the device from a remote host. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

With the usage of IPv6 asssignments there shouldn't be any practical limitation (virtually unlimited) to the number of "real" IPs that can be assigned.

My question is, does the Verizon cellular network support IPv6 and assigns IPv6 addresses to capable Android devices?

Best regards,

Shahar

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IPv6 Usage on The Verizon Cellular Network
Tidbits
Legend

From what I remember Verizon 3G network uses IPv4, and Verizon's 4G network is going to be IPv6.

All 4G devices are NAT'd IPv4 address with a public IPv6 capable address.

If you want to test your device to see if it supports IPv6 just go to IPv6.Google.com and see if it loads.  If it does then the network supports IP6, but if it doesn't then it's iIPv4 is what you got.