I have an older s3 that is off-network, How can I get the kit kat update on my s3?
Volleybill54
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a "retired" Galaxy S3 that I am keeping as a spare-  The Kit Kat update supposedly has been available since 6/20, but I cannot get the software on my off-network phone to update-  even though is is connected by wi-fi.  I spent about a half hour chatting on-line with tech support Monday, 6/23, who assured me that is would update over wi-fe-  although I have NOT been able to do so yet.   I went into the Verizon store yesterday, and the woman I spoke to there told me all I had to do was swap SIM cards with my active phone, then casually mentioned that if I did that, it would void the warranty on my new phone by taking it off-network.  Great, just what I would want to do...

I am seriously considering re-activating it for a couple hours, just to get it updated, then deactivating it again.  It would seem there should be an easier way.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have an older s3 that is off-network, How can I get the kit kat update on my s3?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Volleybill54, we want you to know that we appreciate your long time loyalty. You may temporarily activate that device on your line to retrieve the latest software update. This will not void your current 1 year manufacturer warranty on the device that you paid full retail pricing for. However, you move your new phone to a different mobile number, then that would void your warranty. That device can only associated with your mobile number in order to be covered under the manufacturer warranty.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

Re: I have an older s3 that is off-network, How can I get the kit kat update on my s3?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you wanting to keep your previous devices up to date Volleybill54. The device will need to be on an active line in order to process the update. I recommend waiting until you need to use it to process the update.

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Volleybill54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the prompt reply, but still unsatisfying.  I spent a couple hundred dollars for this phone less than 2 years ago (not to mention the $600 for the S5 off-contract a couple months ago) and you are telling me that I have to void the warranty or open a new data-service line to get the proper support for my Verizon-branded device?  At this point the S3 is off warranty and primarily used on wi-fi-  I could just as well root it and run custom ROMs I suppose-  nothing to lose at this point, since the company that sold it to me won't even help to keep it up-to-date.  I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but this is not what most would consider good customer support.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see how removing the SIM card from your current phone, moving the SIM card to the S3 for a few hours in order to update the OS on the S3 and move the SIM card back to the current phone will void the warranty of the current phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Volleybill54
Enthusiast - Level 1

According to the tech in the Verizon store I spoke with yesterday, doing so would take my new, full-priced and still warrantied phone "off the network" and void the warranty.  No one else has told me this yet, but no one has disputed it, either.  Seems like a big dollar gamble to do something that you would think Verizon would be happy to do for long term repeat customers.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have swapped between my full price phone and another phone all within the first two weeks of owning the phone. I'm not worried. If you have a warranty issue, deal with the manufacturer instead.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Volleybill54, we want you to know that we appreciate your long time loyalty. You may temporarily activate that device on your line to retrieve the latest software update. This will not void your current 1 year manufacturer warranty on the device that you paid full retail pricing for. However, you move your new phone to a different mobile number, then that would void your warranty. That device can only associated with your mobile number in order to be covered under the manufacturer warranty.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Volleybill54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lasina, thank you for your reply.  This is exactly what I did, swapped SIM cards, and the older S3 imeadiately began to update.  Worked perfectly, updated all my apps.  Thanks again-  Took a couple days, but Verizon support comes through once again. 

0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

For what it is worth when you plug your S3 or whatever from Verizon in they have a tool that installs firmware that will upgrade your phone while in a offline state IE No Sim - card exctera. That's how I upgraded my S4 to KitKat...

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes