I bought a Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) unlocked version. I now want to tether my mobile data connection but I cant
vidhu

Hi all, So i bought the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) unlocked version on my trip to USA so I can use a different carrier.

But now I am trying to tether my internet connection but it says the following:

> Checking subscription status
> Validation Error

Why am i getting this? I paid $800 dollars. Full retail price for this unlocked phone. Why am I being restricted by Verizon like this? I don't live in USA, I live in Russia so I cant return my phone now. Can you help me. What should I do now?

Many regards

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I bought a Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) unlocked version. I now want to tether my mobile data connection but I cant
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi vidhu!

I'm sorry for any trouble with your s5! Let's take a look into this for you!

The errors you received....were those received while using the device in the US or in Russia? Is the SIM card you have in the phone from Verizon Wireless or a carrier in Russia?

Please provide some additional information, thank you!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: I bought a Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) unlocked version. I now want to tether my mobile data connection but I cant
Not applicable

How do you expect to teather a device not set on the Verizon wireless network?

Go to a Verizon wireless corporate store and have them put a Verizon Sim card in the device. You will have to open service with Verizon wireless.

You cannot teather as in connect a laptop or use any hotspot to connect to the phone unless service is activated on it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vidhu

Hi, thank very much for your reply.

The errors I'm receiving are in Russia and the SIM card is of a Russian carrier (MTS carrier). I haven't used the phone in USA and never used the Verizon SIM card that came with it.

0 Likes
vidhu
How do you expect to teather a device not set on the Verizon wireless network?

What do you mean? Its simple. I just want to share my mobile data with my other WIFI devices. Before this, I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 International Version (GT-i9500) and this was possible.

If you still think I need a Verizon Account or whatever to tether, how do you think people with an international version tether? Tethering is not Verizon Specific or Carrier Specific. Its a generic feature of Android however some carriers like Verizon who sell their phones on Contracts in USA may decided to restrict this feature for verizon customers so they can earn more money from locked phones. But I have paid full retail price for this Unlocked phone so I shouldn't be restricted like this.

Sorry If I am unclear. English is not my first language.

Thanks

0 Likes
Not applicable

I was reading your post correctly.

I know what teathering is. What you really mean is you want to enable the hot spot in order to share the phones data allotment.

You need first to have the device on a carrier. Since Verizon is not in Russia you would need to get a working service from a Russian provider. After that if you have data enabled you then can set up the hot spot per the Russian provider.

Most newer devices are unlocked for use in other countries. It is just a matter of you walking into a Russian wireless provider and have them activate their Sim card in your device.

International Support - Verizon Wireless

Click the link above and call Verizon toll free from your country. They may be able to assist you.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vidhu

Hi. Sorry for my missunderstanding.

I already have a SIM card from a russian carrier and I have a data plan

with it. I can call normally, use my internet, watch videos online on my

mobile data plan (not wifi). But I cant tether this data connection because

of that error I specified in my first post.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

What did your local provider say when you told them the hotspot feature they provide isn't working on vzw phone? It may need root access but if can get it , it also may void warranty. Did you have to pay extra so s4 could beam out radio waves for other devices to get web or did it just work?

0 Likes
vidhu

I didnt tell my local provider anything.

For my S4 International Version, the hotspot would just work. It would work

in many different countries since I travel a lot. No need to pay extra or

anything like that.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

your provider their may charge extra for tethering. this is likely a question for your provider over there. it may be a verizon phone, but it's the carrier's data you are trying to share. i would go to the carrier you use over there and ask them. your cell phone plan may not even allow tethering.