How do I transfer gmail attachments to my PC?
elfcorn
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I transfer gmail attachments to my PC?
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

The most logical answer I would use in this situation is to log into your gmail account on your PC and save the attachemnt to your computer.  No transfer involved.  Is this not possible in your situation?  Are there details you are missing for the situation?

0 Likes
elfcorn

Sorry for not being clear, I am trying to transfer email attachments from my phone to my PC during a power failure.

I cannot access the internet from my PC during a power failure, but continue to get emails with attachments through my LG Ally.

I would like to be able to still get those email attachments by plugging in my USB cable to my PC running on battery power. My freelance work depends my being able to access those attachments and continue working.

Is that possible?

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

No problem, sometimes the easiest solution is over looked.  That is not the case here.  I actually use pop3 for any email I get with attachments.  I send quite a few files to my phone, but I use a POP3 account or IMAP account.  Then use the mail program that comes with the phone.  In the mail program I can save the attachemnt to SD Card.

No such luck on getting it from gmail though phone itself.  You can browse to gmail.com and access the message and when you click the attachment name it ask you what to "save as".

Hopefully that helps.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

o ya..plug in your USB cable to phone and PC then make sure to select the use device as "mount as disk drive" not just charge only.  I don't have the Ally so I'm not positive on your selections but they should be similar. The connect to PC option shoudl show up in your drop down bar on the top.

Hope having the rest of the instructions helps.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Depending on what kind of files they are you may need something like Astro to download files that cannot be accessed by Android.  With Astro it makes it so that files that Android can't access can be downloaded and stored on your phone so that you can access them or install them on your computer.  It is incredibly useful especially if you have files that are associated with your phone like syncing software or whatever.  You don't have to download it on every computer you want to install it on you can download it once to your phone and have it with you when you need to install it on a new computer. 

The relevance being if you have files that aren't basic office documents (for which you would need Documents to Go or something like it) then you can just download the attachement through Astro and then as described above set your phone as a disk drive and the files are there for your use on the computer in the removeable drives associated with your phone. 

0 Likes