How do I install fonts to my LG G2?
w1225612

TL;DR version:

I need to install fonts without rooting my LG G2. Is there an easy way to do this? If I have to root, will it void my warranty?

Long version:

I'm a Japanese major and want to install Japanese font on my LG G2 (3.4.0-perf-gdf89a11). There are only 6 default font types in LG G2 (SmartGothic, Travel, Foxrain, Coffee, Purewhite, Serif, Roboto) and none of them can display Japanese correctly, i.e. Chinese characters are used instead of Japanese kanji. The difference is analogous to using greek letters to display English which looks very wrong to the trained eye. There are apps that can install fonts but most require me to "root" my device. I don't know much about rooting and it sounds like I might void my verizon warranty which I don't want. Is there an easy, "verizon-legal" way for me to install free fonts I like? Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I install fonts to my LG G2?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

w1225612, I understand the need to change the font. While there are third party keyboards that offer Japanese input, the font throughout the phone cannot be switched to something other than the defaults provided.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
w1225612

Any response from the Verizon techs?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you wanting to replace the phone icon labels and settings commands into Japanese? Or are you wanting to reply to messages in Japanese?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
w1225612

@Ann154 Neither, and I apologize for being unclear. I want to install a new Japanese font from Play Store and change into it. Unfortunately Verizon decided to lock the LGG2 into only 7 font choices (Settings>Display>Font type). I want to be able to install an 8th font AND apply it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is unlikely Verizon Wireless locked it. They don't touch the code. LG designed the code for your phone model.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

w1225612, I understand the need to change the font. While there are third party keyboards that offer Japanese input, the font throughout the phone cannot be switched to something other than the defaults provided.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes