How do I connect to wi-fi with a password?
BucksBill

On my previous Droids, a RAZR M or Bionic, I was prompted for a list of several WiFi parameters to access our company WiFi network. I'd scroll through the list to enter identity (my company username) and password.  And those were the only 2 items I needed to enter, to connect.  On the Moto X, I am prompted for CA Certificate, User Certificate, and Identity and nothing else.  When I enter my username, the Moto X attempts to connect and fails and never asks for a password.  I connected with a RAZR M to our network today and had no problems connecting. So it shouldn't be due to a problem on our network side.

When I tried to connect WiFi through my home FIOS network, I was prompted for only a password, entered it, and connected fine.

If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I connect to WiFi with a password? The Moto X doesn't allow PW input as previous Droids.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BucksBill,

Thanks for checking for us! Since we are still unable to connect to your works Wi-Fi connection, I would recommend selecting to "Forget network" on the Wi-Fi connection and re-establish the connection once more to see if it then prompts you to enter both the username and a password upon set up.

If you are able to enter the password for all other Wi-Fi connections with the exception of your work places Wi-Fi, we may be able to pin point the issue being on the Wi-Fi's end and not an issue with the device.

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How do I connect to WiFi with a password? The Moto X doesn't allow PW input as previous Droids.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BucksBill, let's look deeper into this mystery. It sounds like the Wi-Fi connection at your workplace has additional security measures. As a result, you will need to verify with your employer which security option to choose. For example, "WPA 2 PSK." For more device support, click http://vz.to/1gRkzII

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
BucksBill

I don't know if we use WPA 2 PSK.

We use RAZR M models successfully.

I use the default settings on the RAZR M, with the exception of Identity and Password.

Those settings are:

Security: 802.1x EAP

EAP Method: PEAP

Is the Moto X sensing a particular security method?

And then deciding to limit my entries to CA Certificate, User Certificate and Identity?

I can't see why it wouldn't ask for a Password. And I don't see anywhere to specify the security option on the Moto X anyhow.

I'm just confused.

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BucksBill, we apologize for this confusion. Unfortunately, we are unable to verify the correct settings for your device. However, have you had a chance to contact your technical support team for your company to verify the correct security settings to access this Wi-Fi connection? Are you able to connect to any other Wi-Fi connection with that device?

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
BucksBill

I did verify that we use WPA 2 Enterprise.

The Moto X connects fine to my home FIOS network where it simply asks for the network password, which I supply, and it then connects.

When I try to connect to the work network, I specify my username(Identity) and tap Connect, and under the network name it says "Saved" and then shortly after says "Authentication Error" without ever asking me for a password.

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BucksBill, thanks for these details. The "Authentication Error" message is confirmation that the username and password that you've provided isn't being accepted by the Wi-Fi source. You will need to reach out to your technical support team to verify the correct password.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
BucksBill

The problem is that Moto X does NOT prompt me for the password. I have no way of entering it.

That is the problem. If I had an opportunity to enter the password then I would agree with your assessment completely.

But it only prompts me for Identity when I try to connect to my work network.

I have nowhere to enter the password. And I don't know why it isn't asking me for it.

For my home system it only asks me for password and nothing else and it connects fine.

For the work network it asks for Identity and never gives me an opportunity to enter anything but Identity.

So clearly, that will not authenticate properly. Why does it not prompt me for a password?

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time BucksBill. When you select WiFi, please tap Menu key on bottom right, (with 3 dots), select Scan, select the Network, and a box should pop up with the signal strength, security, password, (show password & show advanced options). Do you see this?

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
BucksBill

After I tap Scan, the box comes up with the Network Name, Signal strength-Excellent, Security-802.1x EAP.

THERE IS NO ENTRY FOR PASSWORD AND THERE IS NO CHECKBOX TO SHOW PASSWORD.

There is a check box for Show Advanced Options.

If I tap Show Advanced Options, it shows me Proxy-None, and IP settings-DHCP.

I confirmed with our network group that those settings would be good for our network.

If I then tap Connect, I get another box with CA Certificate (unspecified), User Certificate (unspecified), Identity, and nothing else except Cancel or Connect.

If I enter my username in for Identity and tap Connect, the screen returns to the page with the list of WiFi sources and says Authentication Error under our work network because I was never given an opportunity to enter a password or any other network parameters.

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BucksBill,

Thanks for checking for us! Since we are still unable to connect to your works Wi-Fi connection, I would recommend selecting to "Forget network" on the Wi-Fi connection and re-establish the connection once more to see if it then prompts you to enter both the username and a password upon set up.

If you are able to enter the password for all other Wi-Fi connections with the exception of your work places Wi-Fi, we may be able to pin point the issue being on the Wi-Fi's end and not an issue with the device.

EfrainM_VZW

0 Likes