How can I use my Wifi network without wasting my data?
Nichollseth

I just got my Moto X the other day, and I've been downloading apps like crazy. Before I started the download I made sure to check the box that said it would only download using Wifi, but the play store is still racking up huge amounts of data. When I got the phone I initially thought that I could download and stream as I please as long as I was using my home Wifi connection. I even disabled my data because I've already used up 1 gig of data after two days! So does anyone know how I can disable data usage, but still use my phones online capabilities exclusively through Wifi? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can I use my Wifi network without wasting my data?
Not applicable

Hi, I am a mite confused. You say you turned off cellular data and yet you believe you are using it up?

Did you connect the device to your home wifi? If you did then wifi takes priority over using cellular data.

There is a toggle switch in most device settings that enable you to turn cellular data on and off. I take from your statement this was done.

The device will still use small amounts of data even if set to off. But not huge amounts of data so as long as you have a steady wifi connection there should be no issue.

However if you walk out of range or the device turns off wifi for any reason the download will revert to using cellular.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Nichollseth

I didn't disable data until I realized how much I was using, and the device was connected to my home wifi for the entirety of the downloads. Based on what you said I think there might just be some connectivity issues with my wifi.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem with that is the wifi connection may have been on originally and if you are correct it was then disconnected.

Always look for that wifi icon to be certain, keep it in eye shot so you will see if it does disconnect.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you are downloading tons of apps, remember that all those apps get updated quite alot. They will update using data unless you tell the apps to only update using wifi.  You can make this setting in the app store, using the setting configurations of your phone.

0 Likes