Help canceling two lines of shared data without ETF
baldwindc

Hi all,

Our family has the shared data plan and my contract recently expired. My father's contract expires at the end of November, so we're looking to move somewhere that supports the Nexus 5 (plus other reasons listed below).

Our plan looks something like this:

Me: (Contract Expired) ~$55.00

Dad - (Nov 30, 2013) ~ $55.00

Mom - (Nov 14, 2014) ~ $50.00

Other (Sept 2014) ~ $50.00

Brother (March 2014) ~ $50.00

Other (Unknown) ~ $50.00

iPad (Month-to-Month) - $10.00

There are three main reasons I'd like to cancel:

1) My dad renewed his contract by getting an iPhone 4s. He did not have insurance on the line. He broke his phone and went to the store to get another one. I should note here my dad isn't stupid or gullible, but he is getting older. Instead of buying a new device for around $600, the salesman informed him that it would be cheaper to just "add another line." I didn't find this out until about a month later when I came home to visit from college.

Just to do the math on this, we're paying $50 a month * 24 Month contract for a phone we don't need. That comes out to $1,200. My dad shouldn't have trusted him, but the salesman shouldn't have lied. Of course I have no evidence of this, but I don't take my dad to be a liar and I know the salesman in our area work on commission. And then guess what happened? That's right -- He didn't get insurance on the next phone.

This is the part where I start to slap my head. Even if the guy didn't offer, you know, maybe I should ask about insurance? Whatever. Too late to worry about that now. So then the same thing happens to his new phone - all within a 2 week span. I think he lost this one instead of breaking it. So under the same pretense (still believing it to be cheaper to add another line than buy another phone), he signs up for a second contract we don't need. Agh.....

I understand the purpose of the ETF, and my main complaint here was that the salesman (Rivergate in Hendersonville, TN) deceived my dad.

2) During this process, they cancelled my unlimited data plan. I never really used that much - maybe 4 GB max a month. Usually a lot less than that, but it was nice to know that I didn't have to worry about it. In the process of selling my dad a new phone plan, he took the opportunity to move us to the "Share Everything" plan. Needless to say, I was not thrilled about this.

3) My phone (Razr) just broke. It was a replacement from Asurion. Considering the last series of headaches I went through (multiple defective devices being sent to me) plus the fact I can buy a Nexus 4 for $200 vs a used Motorola Razr for $100.... I think I'm done with Asurion.

It would be nice if Verizon would help us out here since we've been customers for years, but based on my experiences with them I don't expect that to happen. You can imagine how I feel about them - primarily based off point # 1. It would be nice for Verizon to extend the olive branch and give us a hand, but really I'm hoping for answers from the community. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Daniel

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help canceling two lines of shared data without ETF
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Help you out with WHAT? You have a person authorized on the account, they made decisions. You dont agree. But you allowed them. How is that vzw issue? Why should they fix it?

0 Likes
baldwindc

I used to work in a computer store and would have to sell computers to people who, just by the nature of my job, did not know as much about them as I. When they would ask me questions like "How do I get the most bang for my buck?" I would give them an honest answer.

My main complaint is that the sales representative did not give my dad a "honest answer,"  by signing him up for a contract costing $1200 that should have cost $600.

Q: "How is that a VZW issue?"

A: Dishonest business practices.

Q: "Why should they fix it?"

A: They have made a lot of money off us for a lot of years. At the moment, we're not satisfied with their services. We've been with them for so long that we haven't had the opportunity to try other services. When we move, which we are, there are two possibilities:

1) We will be thrilled with the new companies services and policies and stay with them indefinitely.

OR

2) We will not like them at which point we'll look for somebody else. We would either try yet another company, or

possibly come back to Verizon. As of right now, they are losing a customer. To answer your question of "why

should they fix it" -- In order to gain a potential future customer. Think of it as long term advertising.     

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I don't know if I agree with your thoughts that the salesman wasn't simply trying to help

When looking at your fathers acct, the salesman may have noticed that your fathers line was out of contract quite soon. Instead of having your father purchase a phone at full retail, he had him open a new line with the knowledge his old line could be terminated without an ETF within a short period of time when the contract expired. This, in fact, WOULD have saved him a considerable sum over purchasing at full retail.

That your father then assumed the same would hold true, although the circumstances had changed, is a mistake he made, which is not necessarily the fault of the 1st salesman.

I'm not saying that your dad is a liar, but it is quite possible he may have misunderstood the explanation of why the additional line was the less expensive option.

Good luck.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

>>Post removed for discussion of moderation; please review the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service<<

>> MODERATOR NOTE: The moderation team and the representatives are two distinct groups with different responsibilities regarding the Community.  The moderators simply ensure that posts are in compliance with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service and edit or remove those posts, or portions of posts, that are inviolation.  This is primarily a peer-to-peer Community, users helping other users, so Verizon Customer Service representatives typically allow the Community of users to provide answers first, and then they will confirm or provide additional help if needed. <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Not only is this not going to happen ... it's NEVER going to happen.

There's nothing for them to "fix" when an adult account owner VOLUNTARILY enters into a contractual agreement.

The representative didn't lie (based on your description of the events).  Could he have explained it more clearly?  Yes, it would seem so.  However, if a customer does not FULLY understand the contractual agreement into which they are entering, they should stop and get another person's advice.

Sorry.  But you are "stuck" with the CHOICES that were made.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there baldwindc,

I'm saddened to hear that you are thinking of disconnecting your services with us. We appreciate your support over the years and absolutely would like to continue our relationship.

I'm not sure what the exact conversation was at the store, but if you provide me the store location I can certainly submit feedback on the store to ensure they are being more thorough in their explanations.

The cost would have been reflected in the terms and conditions that were signed at the point of sale for both phones he purchased and because of this I am unable to waive the early termination fees on any of the lines.

Do you know of someone else who possibly has a use for those lines? You could do what we call an assumption of liability. You could give someone permission to take over the contracts of those lines and they could assume responsiblity of those contracts and that leaves you avoiding the early termination fee. Give us a call at 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your cellphone to get the process started.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
baldwindc

Thanks. I'll get you the store number. I've looked into AoL, however since we're currently on a family plan I didn't think this was possible (without having them sharing our data).

Could you give me some more details on how to achieve assumption of liability for the two phones that are a part of the family plan?     

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The feedback is empty promise. Store manager gets email, may discuss it or may not....just has to click on a few links and it goes away.

Aol....as long as the accounr is not past due, the c

Lines can be transfered with or without deposit depending on their credit.  But they have to move to current pricing which may mean share everything. If they decline tge terms and conditions you are still responsible for the lines. This can be done in store or over the phone.

0 Likes