Help Needed Please
mrhine1

My Droid keeps "force closing" when I am text messaging and when I hit the ok button it closes. Then when I bring it back up it has deleted all of my text's from everybody. Switched droids twice (its not a defective phone) one of my employees has had the same problem with her phone. I have deleted all my outside apps. and it still does it. I also have an anti-virus app. downloaded and it says everything is clean. What is up with this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help Needed Please
TheGvsang

I gave up on the stock SMS, and now am using Chomp SMS. As a former Iphone user, I find that Chomp clearly handles the SMS very well. This might help with your problem.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

Handcent is sweet also.

website link

Find Handcent in Marketplace

0 Likes
hellorockview
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would delete the anti-virus app and see if that fixes your problem. Android phones do not need virus protection.

However, if you are still experiencing the issue, I would also suggest downloading a new messenger. ChompSMS and Handcent both work great. My personal preference is ChompSMS. Both are free in the market.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

hellorockview wrote:

I would delete the anti-virus app and see if that fixes your problem. Android phones do not need virus protection.

However, if you are still experiencing the issue, I would also suggest downloading a new messenger. ChompSMS and Handcent both work great. My personal preference is ChompSMS. Both are free in the market.

What he/she said.  The Anti-virus apps are as bad or worse than task-killers about causing problems.  Not to mention some of them have been previously found to open doors for viruses.  It is difficult to get a virus on your phone but with the right permissions an app can open the doors for you.  I would recommend deleting that program and see if that doesn't fix the problem.  Also as mentioned if you have any task-killers I would get rid of them as well. 

0 Likes
mrhine1

Will try one of those apps. Thanks for the help.......

0 Likes
Jroberts238

I have experienced similar issues as the OP. If I uninstalled my task killer would my phone not get bogged down with all the apps running in the background?

0 Likes
acut21

Cool that is was the guy at the Verizon store who told me to download the task killer and the anti virus.  **bleep**

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Jroberts238 wrote:

I have experienced similar issues as the OP. If I uninstalled my task killer would my phone not get bogged down with all the apps running in the background?

I have never downloaded them.  I was definitely going to when I got my phone originally but I didn't at first.  Then I started reading about how they caused issues.  Then I didn't want it.  Also I saw that my phone ran fine without it.  You can go into settings and force close any app you don't want running anyway if it bothers you.  originally it was said that it would boost battery and make your phone run faster and smoother.  I had the Droid at first and never had any issues with its speed or anything else.  I poked around with network settings to get the voice sounding better but never killed tasks or had virus protection. 

Now I will say that I think I had a virus on my SD card on my Incredible (I got the incredible because my dad wanted a smartphone but needed one that was free and his choices were kind of sad so I offered to give him my DROID if he would use his NE2 and let me buy the Incredible).  I got it I think downloading a questionable file.  Being a Linux environment with no Root access the file was pretty well useless but did cause my phone to freeze up if it tried to access the SD card.  I was able to reformat it in my Dad's Droid by not allowing it to mount or rather unmounting it before it was accessed and reformatted it.  Works fine again but I will be a little more careful I think.  Just because I lost all my pictures some of which are on the web but some are just lost.  So as with any OS capable of downloading anything know what you are downloading and from whom you are downloading it.  Linux is far more secure but what that basically means is that it can't access system files without permission and it won't affect anything more than the sandbox it is allowed to play in.  If a reputable company puts out a Virus scan for downloads and it doesn't have complaints then maybe.  I don't use virus scans on my computer for the same reason.  Windows is a double negative here.  Viruses easily affect Windows machines especially if you have administrative privalige.  So you need Virus detection and Virus scans, but good virus scanners cause huge strain on the system.  They run in the background and take for ever and use huge amounts of system resources.  My work computer is horribly slow and despite having a T1 connection at my desk websites go through so much stuff before they can load and compete with 2 virus scanners and heavy firewalls so that doing work or taking breaks gets slowed down. 

It is a different world.  Even APK's from the market can be malicious.  They are sort of screened but some have gone through.  Google usually removes them when they find out.   Basically our phones are capable of getting malware and viruses but the damage they can do is somewhat limited unless they are built into an app that gets permission to do things, even then your phone would have to be rooted for you to get really detrimental viruses, which is one of the reasons it is a bad idea to do it.  Finally our phones would really need a lot more sophisticated hardware with a lot more memory and system resources to run a really effective virus protection program. 

0 Likes
Lovelilady

Thanks, fezzik, for the thorough explanation, but I'm still confused.  Are you saying we probably don't need a virus program and/or Advanced Task Killer on our phones (I have an Ally, BTW)?  I'm new to the whole Android thing (former Blackberry user), and when I called VZW tech service the other day to question (read: COMPLAIN) the crappy battery life of my phone, they directed me to put the ATK on to help with battery life.  Are you saying that it can actually cause me more problems?  I also have a anti-virus program; should I get rid of both of them?  SO CONFUSED - UGH!!!!  Sorry, lost my head for a minute there......

"if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning" 

0 Likes