Re: Hello HTC EVO - G'Bye Nexus One
jsh1120

So let me get this straight. In January Google announced that Verizon would have the Nexus One "in the spring." So on the first day of spring the pitchfork wielding peasants complain that it's not yet available and they're going to jump ship for another carrier who announces that the HTC EVO will be available "in the summer." 

Adolescence is a mixed blessing.

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

jsh1120 wrote:

So let me get this straight. In January Google announced that Verizon would have the Nexus One "in the spring." So on the first day of spring the pitchfork wielding peasants complain that it's not yet available and they're going to jump ship for another carrier who announces that the HTC EVO will be available "in the summer." 

Adolescence is a mixed blessing

jsh1120, we are gonna have to coordinate better, you took the words right out of my mouth!! :smileywink:

0 Likes
sranger

Sprint just made there announcement and it can literally be interpreted as some time in the next six months....( fair enough )  However, I am willing to bet that Sprint will post a few more updates as the release date for the new EVO draws closer.

I think the frustration that many feel with Verzion is the fact that their "Spring 2010"  is already two months old.  I do not think it unreasonable to expect that Verizon should have been able to narrow the release date of the N1 down a little better in the last two months.  I think the complete silence from Verizon is the irritating part...

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

sranger wrote:

I think the frustration that many feel with Verzion is the fact that their "Spring 2010"  is already two months old.  I do not think it unreasonable to expect that Verizon should have been able to narrow the release date of the N1 down a little better in the last two months.  I think the complete silence from Verizon is the irritating part...

The *announcement" may be two months old, but *spring* just started 4 days ago and runs through June... I agree that the level of communication and updates is not quite what I would want either, but is that really a reason to go to another carrier?

0 Likes
sranger

jayjay1122 wrote:

sranger wrote:

The *announcement" may be two months old, but *spring* just started 4 ago and runs through June... I agree that the level of communication and updates is not quite what I would want either, but is that really a reason to go to another carrier?

I am currently on a Coporate Sprint Plan.  My company is ending the plan ( switching to an allowance plan )  and I have to get a phone between March 26 - April 6th or I will lose my cell phone number that I have had since 1990.  A small amount of guidance would go a long way in my case....

Now I have three options:

1) Buy a prepaid phone like Straight Talk or Boost for a few months until the new phones are ready.  This is annoying because I have to move my numer twice and buy a phone I don't want.

2) Go with Verizon and buy a phone I don't want and ( actually I am getting two phones, wife wants one as well ) and pay significant fees and penalties to get the phone I want ( assuming that it will ever be released )  some time between tomorrow and the next three months.  I can't tell you how irritated I would be if it came out a week or so after I signed a 2 year contract for a phone I don't want....  Also based on recent history, I am not sure it will be released in the time frame that they have stated.

3) Go with a N1 on AT&T because I can get the phone I want now and will not have to move my number twice.  I do not really like AT&T service( wife has it now and I had it for years), but at least they kind of let you know what is going on from month to month and seem to get new phones on a regular basis.  It is also a few $$ a month less expensive.  ( the way I am leaning...)

So, if I go with option 1 I may as well wait for the new EVO as it seem to be a much better phone that anything Verizon is likely to intordcuce this year.  If I go with option 2 I will probably stay with AT&T for the two year contract.    As you can see, I do have some good reasons to go with another carried due to the total lack of information from Verizon on this subject....

0 Likes
frosty8725

u can try and defend verizon all u want but this does happen constantly with verizon. all it takes is a simple post or something or to tell the customers that the rumors of the release date is false to give me a little more comfort in that my carrier has my concerns in mind...instead they stay silent...i agree with the last post because it really would be frustrating to get a new phone and all of a sudden verizon says the nexus one will be coming out in the next week...why not just make an annoncement sooner

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

sranger wrote:

So, if I go with option 1 I may as well wait for the new EVO as it seem to be a much better phone that anything Verizon is likely to intordcuce this year.  If I go with option 2 I will probably stay with AT&T for the two year contract.    As you can see, I do have some good reasons to go with another carried due to the total lack of information from Verizon on this subject....

I can't argue with you on anything you said, nor would I want to. In my opinion only, I feel like if I get into a cycle of trying to chase down the "hot new device" I feel I am always going to be disappointed. 

I have my own gripes as well, but the fact remains that there are good phones with this carrier, they just may not be the exact phones I want. Personally, I would much rather have an Iphone on the VZW network that anything else on the horizon, but I know I most likely have a year to wait if not more.

I hope you find what you're looking for!

0 Likes
jsh1120

frosty8725 wrote:

u can try and defend verizon all u want but this does happen constantly with verizon. all it takes is a simple post or something or to tell the customers that the rumors of the release date is false to give me a little more comfort in that my carrier has my concerns in mind...instead they stay silent...i agree with the last post because it really would be frustrating to get a new phone and all of a sudden verizon says the nexus one will be coming out in the next week...why not just make an annoncement sooner

You actually believe it's Verizon's responsibility to respond to internet rumors? Remind me not to hire you as my corporate spokesperson. When June 22 rolls around and there is no Nexus available from Verizon you would have a point.

0 Likes
bb2droid
Enthusiast - Level 2

jsh1120 wrote:

frosty8725 wrote:

You actually believe it's Verizon's responsibility to respond to internet rumors? Remind me not to hire you as my corporate spokesperson. When June 22 rolls around and there is no Nexus available from Verizon you would have a point.

No, why would Verizon have to respond to rumors, especially on their own website?  I think it is just fine that numerous customers are saying they are leaving for other carriers and Verizon stays silent.  Having the most expensive plans is already a good reason to look elsewhere.  They are just making the decision easier.

0 Likes
techninja

That was alot of stuff I had to go through just to reply to a forum, but anyway...

Long story short (cuz I don't feel like bickering with people). Cellphone companies have very little customer care. They don't care if you become impatient and buy another phone, while waiting for the phone you really want. They should have release dates and they should have customer contact. I would like to express my rage on the way most of these companies operate but I won't. If apple can give release dates, then everyone can. It's rare to find a company customer focused, so here...

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46659&hl=nexus

That should give you a lil more insight. I'm guessing 2nd or 3rd week of April. My poor friend has been forced to buy prepaid. The shame.

0 Likes