Headphones Plugged in Causes Data to Drop to Almost Zero on LTE - HTC Droid DNA
Adopt_A_Dog

On LTE...

When I am running an application that uses data, it works fine.  But the moment I plug the 3.5mm" headphones into the headphone jack, the data drops to almost zero and buffering is at a standstill at 0%.  As soon as I unplug the headphones, the data resumes back to normal.

Anyone know what the fix is for this?

Verizon reps?

Edit: I did find this thread on a different phone: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/325420#325420. Is it a problem that arises when a headphone is used that DOES NOT have a mic because of the TRS design?

Edit 2: It seems that Beats Audio has to be set to ON in Settings in order for the connection to maintain and sound to work via Headphones. Is this true? This is how it is working now. When the red Beats Audio icon disappears in the status bar at the top, all sound stops and the connectivity goes to almost zero. When the icon in red is back, all is well.  Any way to make it so Beats Audio doesn't have to be used in order for sound and connectivity to work when headphones are plugged in?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Headphones Plugged in Causes Data to Drop to Almost Zero - HTC Droid DNA
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Adopt_A_Dog,

That is extremely odd. I have actually never heard of this issue with your type of device. I understand the importance of having a data connection at all times regardless of if a headset is plugged in or not. Do you mind sharing what type of headset you are using? Does this issue occur with only one type of headset? Since you data connection fluctuates when something is plugged in, you may have a faulty headset jack or an incompatible headset. Has this been an issue since your original purchase of your device? This type of issue could possibly be covered under warranty. We would be happy to evaluate your device and seek replacement options if needed. Have you taken your device to a local Verizon Store? Please keep us posted on how you would like to proceed, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Re: Headphones Plugged in Causes Data to Drop to Almost Zero on LTE - HTC Droid DNA
Adopt_A_Dog

I tried Koss brand headphones, as well as two other brands. None work with

the HTC DNA. However, these same headphones work on my previous phone, the

Motorola Droid Bionic without issue. The phone was purchased brand new and

I have no other issues with it. I am able to use bluetooth headphones with

the phone without engaging the BeatsAudio and all is well. It seems very

odd that plugging in wired headphones causes any issue with the Verizon

data stream at normal speeds. Thus it seems there may be some sort of

governing control that Verizon is setting when wired headphones are used

with streaming media. Is there such a thing? I am able to play local music

on the DNA with wired headphones, no problem. It's only a problem with

wired headphones while streaming media over the Verizon data network.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Re: Headphones Plugged in Causes Data to Drop to Almost Zero on LTE - HTC Droid DNA
Adopt_A_Dog

Upon further investigation, I've found that when my phone drops to 3G data

speed, the headphones work without issue. But, when it goes to 4G/LTE, the

data drops to nothing. I wish I could force the phone to 3G for this

purpose, but it doesn't appear that is selectable. So it stays mostly in

4G/LTE and I am not able to use wired headphones during that time sadly.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Adopt_A_Dog!

Thanks for the information! You have completed some awesome troubleshooting of your device so far. Let's get this fixed. You said when the device drops to 4G it goes to 0% buffering causing the audio issue per there is no data signal. What zipcode are you in? When did this start? Does the issue occur only indoors or outdoors? Keep me posted.

Thanks,

Pamelaf_vzw

Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Adopt_A_Dog

Yes, if I switch to 4G/LTE, the Verizon data stream actually stops (goes to

zero). So whichever application I'm using with just spin in trying to

buffer, or time out. Zip code: 85027. This issue has been present since

Day 1 and occurs indoors and outdoors. But, I rarely use the wired

headphones outdoors, so that is not an issue. As mentioned, it works fine

on 3G (which of course is the slower data rate than 4G/LTE). Do you think

it's because the DNA has Beats Audio software/hardware and an expensive

Beats Audio wired headphone is required instead of generic wired

headphones? I've run out of ideas. So my workaround continues to be to

force 3G when listening on wired headphones to streaming content. However,

that will eventually stop when Verizon stops providing the 3G data stream.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:25 AM, ChaunceyM_VZW <

0 Likes
Adopt_A_Dog

As oftoday, May 6, 2013, the 4G/LTE data stream is actually working while wired headphones are plugged in and listening. And, Beats Audio is of course working with the 4G/LTE and wired headphones. So, something recently changed in the past week,  either by VerizonWireless with the 4G/LTE network, and/or HTC's software/firmware.  I just hope it continues to work.  Right now it is somewhat intermittent though, so it's not perfect, as it is when forcing on 3G.  I think that may be because the 4G/LTE signal is not strong in the building where I am right now.  I'll have to test it where the 4G/LTE signal is strong to see if that's causing the sporadic connection. 

0 Likes
blakeaa827

I've got a Droid DNA and am experiencing this exact problem.  This is a work phone and I tether my laptop while on conference calls.  When I connect headphones during conference calls, my data throughput drops to 0.  Unfortunately, 3G is not good where I'm at.  If my phone drops to 3G, it doesn't work at all when I'm on the phone, headphones or not.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Blake

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello blakeaa827,

The Droid DNA is easily one of my favorite smartphones. The features that this device has are nearly endless. We want to make sure that you are able to enjoy all of the functionality that this device has to offer. May I ask what zip code are you in? First, I want to check for any network related issues that may affect your 4G data connectivity. Also, can I assume that there isn't any liquid or physical damage on the device? As you share the details on the concern then we can customize a solution for you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
blakeaa827

I'm in zip code 75686, and the phone is in perfect condition.

Thanks,

Blake

0 Likes