Having a horrible time with this hardware - VZW help very much appreciated
Eliz404

This post is in regards to the HTC Droid DNA, and details my current support dilemma with VZW. If a VZW rep could please read this and comment on a way to find a solution, or if any other users have been in a similar position, your advice would be appreciated.

It is no secret that there is a defect with the HTC DNA, which could otherwise be an excellent device. The problem: supposed firmware issues which cause the device's SIM card to dismount at random. Any calls to VZW will tell you that they released an update to fix the device. The problem: the success rate is very, very low. I suspect the problem is HTC's fault and not Verizon's, but I do feel it is up to Verizon to handle these issues with dignity.

I have this problem, to an extent that seriously makes this phone little more than an advanced paper weight. And with it being a device used primarily for work, to have the SIM card dismount upwards of 20 times a day is simply unacceptable. The device is defected, well documented, and very much experienced by a LARGE percent of the user base. Spend 5 minutes Googling and you'll see that there is no shortage of people experiencing this problem. The worst, is looking down at my phone only to find out that again, the SIM card is dismounted, and I'm not receiving work calls and people are becoming increasingly frustrated with me. Sometimes 1 reboot fixes it (for who knows how long), sometimes it has to be rebooted 4, 5, and even as much as 10 times to correct it. Sometimes you just keep rebooting and the issue never corrects itself. I've almost thrown it at the wall several times.

Now, here's my problem with Verizon.

They will replace the device with a refurb, but NOT FOR FREE if there is any visual physical damage to the phone. I had an idiot crack my screen about a week ago, and while I can understand why Verizon would have policies in place to fine individuals for returning broken phones (duh, that's probably why you want a warranty replacement), it is without question that a cracked screen has anything to do with this problem. It's a VERY well documented issue. A problem that I had before cracking my screen, and one that has becoming increasingly problematic, so much so that this thing isn't even a phone anymore.

I spoke with a Verizon rep who was happy to send me a refurb (what awesome service, I was thinking) but who at the last minute dropped on me the bit about any visual damage to the phone resulting in a non-refundable $299. The rep sympathized with me as she had the exact same problem with her DNA and had to have her phone replaced as well, but informed me that I was basically out of luck. Visual damage to phone once received by warehouse = $299, regardless of the fact that the nature of the return has nothing to do with the screen, and that it's very well understood that this is a manufacturer problem which has nothing to do with a cracked screen. Here's the kicker: I asked her if I could perhaps pay some sort of smaller fee for the broken screen - nope. I asked if I could take the phone to a professional to have the screen replaced, then send it in for replacement - nope. I asked if there was anything I could do to pay for the marginal damage of the screen crack - No, no, no. 

This is absurd. I am not trying to cheat anyone but am left with no choice but to suffer with a defective device simply because Verizon does not care to make any sort of logical exception in this case. That is the epitome of poor customer service. There will always be exceptions, and a good company will recognize that and make sure their customers are cared for. If I did this with my customers, I'd be out of business. Too big to fail, I guess - the worst thing to happen to consumers.

Verizon needs to step up and take responsibility for selling a faulty device. I'd be happy to pay for the OEM parts to replace the screen assembly so that my device can be swapped with one that, you know, like works and all? Why can't this be arranged?

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Having a horrible time with this hardware - VZW help very much appreciated
Eliz404

Thank you for the correction, mods. Apologies for the incorrect posting.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Contact HTC and send the device back to them for repair. They also have service centers which there may be one near you.

http://www.htc.com/us/

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Eliz404,

Having a working phone is definitely a must! I understand how frustrating this whole situation has been for you and I apologize for all the inconvenience.

You mentioned that the phone screen is cracked. Although this may have not caused the issues you are experience, it voids the warranty. If we replace the phone through the warranty you have to return your defective phone to us. Once the phone is received and physical damage is found, you are billed $299.99 for the device.

If you have insurance you can file a claim here http://bit.ly/07CrqPK and all you will be responsible for is the $99 deductible.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes