Re: HTC Rezound Locked Bootloader
nerv62

I am so disappointed in HTC and Verizon. HTC phones are usually very dev-friendly, but the rezound is NOT. We can't even use HTC DEV's official unlock tool. Verizon, ALLOW HTC to let us use HTC DEV, or just UNLOCK THE BOOT LOADER. That's all we ask.

0 Likes
Re: ETC Rezound Locked Bootloader
tryest

What's the point of not unlocking the bootloader?

0 Likes
oldsjunkie

Come on Verizon. You know the Devs are going to crack the bootloader. You think you would prefer to let us use the HTC Dev tool to unlock it so you would at least know which devices are unlocked. The Gnex being unlocked so easily debunks the lock down being for "security" reasons. Do the right thing and let us use the devices we paid for as we see fit. FREE THE REZOUNDS!

0 Likes
fuzzynco2

yeah... I don't understand why VZW is forced HTC to remove Rezound from

HTCdev.com, then permitted Gnex to be unlocked?? What gives?

0 Likes
franklin270h

Because I honestly believe Verizon doesn't really WANT to sell the Nexus, it's simply there because of the same reason that they got the iPhone. They didn't want the iPhone either because they have to pay so much to subsidize it, they just felt they needed to carry it in order to retain or even attract the kind of people that would be willing to change carriers in order to get a hot phone. Same with the Nexus (aside from subsidation). The salespeople, all I've talked to, tried to talk me into a RAZR over the Nexus, and other people as well.

Verizon wants bloated phones that have Vcast and Backup Assistant (see that new Backup Assistant for Media where you can pay for them to store your stuff in the cloud?) and coming up even for the Galaxy Nexus, electronic payment systems.

I do believe that the Rezound will get S-Off just as any other HTC phone has gotten S-Off (Incredible 2 took over 2 months to crack even though it is so similar to the T-Bolt). I wouldn't obsess over it. HTCDEV unlock isn't a full unlock anyway, it doesn't let you flash radios through Hboot and such.

My biggest beef with it isn't so much that they get people to lock/encrypt bootloaders. So long as they have a developer option such as the Nexus. The biggest problem I have is their ruining a perfectly good phone that, honestly, should be good enough that you don't necessary feel a need to root it to make it tolerable. Ironically, the Nexus and the Xoom and similar, being pure Google devices, even though they're stupid easy to unlock the bootloader and root, they're also the devices that you really don't feel the need to root so much. While many people enjoy flashing roms, or customizing, etc, the two biggest reasons that people decide to root are:

1: Carrier Bloatware

2: Tethering

Those are generally the initial things that "push" people to want to root a phone. Then they flash a rom or two. Then they get addicted to it. Then they might engage in the things that are the REAL threat that rooting causes, such as piracy of applications, media, etc. Verizon's greed on their own apps and service pushes more people to do it than how it would've been had the phone just simply came with applications that are uninstallable and not deeply integrated with system framework, and they would quit trying to double and triple dip the data service.

There's a huge debate over tethering and "network traffic" and all that jazz, but I have a Motorola Xoom. I pay for tiered data. It tethers and I don't have to pay a dime to do it (and it's not rooted). The phone plans now are tiered just as the tablet plans are. Yeah there are people grandfathered into unlimited, but at some point you have to set "the way forward" with device features just as they did with plans. If someone wants to tether and not pay attention and pay the overage charges, Verizon should let them do it without double dipping the service. If the user runs over their data limit that's their problem. Smartphones are getting desktop class browsers and streaming netflix and blockbuster (which verizon insists on putting on every god forsaken phone they sell anyway) and NFL mobile and all that jazz and can use up data just as fast as a tethered desktop can.

0 Likes
hoovnick
PM me if you want to know how to really help
0 Likes
fuzzynco2

I'm trying to understand why, given the ease of unlocking( 'fastboot oem unlock') the

more receintly released Samsung Galaxy Nexus, why VZW claims unlocked phone

'hurt' the network??

Is there some hidden agenda regarding HTC phones that they are singled out for different

treatment than other manufacturers? How does unlocking Rezound's bootloader hurt the network

but unlocking Samsung's devices does not??

Please advise

0 Likes
Hateslinger

I agree. The whole reason I buy HTC devices is because I'm familiar with their framework and the dev support is amazing. I'm very disappointed with Verizon on this one. UNLOCK the REZOUND! Furthermore, why are they cutting off the HTC Hub to allow for Skin downloads? This really blows. I'm trying to remain calm and I know we'll eventually have S-Off but I really thought HTC was against locking bootloaders {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

All I can do now, is wait. 

0 Likes
aaron8466
Enthusiast - Level 2

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

Sign it and SHARE!!! I did, it might work you know...

You can thank me later :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
budone
Legend

aaron8466 wrote:

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

Sign it and SHARE!!! I did, it might work you know...

You can thank me later :smileyhappy:

You HONESTLY believe THIS will make them change???? Heck most of the 'signers' wont even post their name. Could be the same person over and over.

Sorry, an online petition that VZW does not even see will not help ya

0 Likes