HTC OR MOTOROLA ?
CMI
Holy Cow you guys Know these phones ! Any thoughts for a total novice to smartphones on which droid would be better. my use would be : phone / heavy e-mail / texting / use the camera alot / light web search. thanks for any advise
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC OR MOTOROLA ?
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

CMI wrote:
Holy Cow you guys Know these phones ! Any thoughts for a total novice to smartphones on which droid would be better. my use would be : phone / heavy e-mail / texting / use the camera alot / light web search. thanks for any advise

Honestly, the best thing for you to do is go into a Verizon store and play with both phones. Of the things you listed above, the only relatively clear advantage goes to the Moto-droid for having a flash, since you mentioned camera as one of your uses. The Moto is at least theoretically a faster phone, but don't underestimate the user friendliness of the HTC "Sense" user interface. It was the deal maker for me. When I first started shopping, I was convinced I needed a physical keyboard, which unfortunately adds physical size and weight to the phone. But I found the keyboard on the Eris to be user friendly enough that I chose the much lighter and more slender Eris over the Moto, but that's a personal decision. If I kept my phone in a holster, it might not matter so much, but in your pocket, I think the Eris is the clear winner in that category. The Eris has several other perks over the Moto including the seven home screens and multitouch. But since you said "heavy emailing and texting", I'd say keyboard is going to be important to you. Personally, I didn't like anything about either keyboard on the Moto, but again, that's a personal preference thing. You really just need to go into the store and type an email as you normally would on each phone and see which feels easiest to you. Make sure you spend a decent amount of time with each one, as it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to how each works, then see which works best for you.

On a side note, depending on how big a hurry you're in to get a new phone, there are clearly some very nice new choices lurking on the horizon, so it might be worth it to you to wait another month or two if you're not in a huge hurry. That new HTC Incredible looks like it's going to be a wicked phone. I'm jealous already.

D Dave

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

CMI wrote:

I'd go for the Motorola Droid instead of the HTC Eris.I think I have seen more complaints on the Eris then the Motorola one.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

TheGreatOne wrote:

I'd go for the Motorola Droid instead of the HTC Eris.I think I have seen more complaints on the Eris then the Motorola one.

Ironically, I thought just the opposite. But then again, I think we've all seen that alot of "complaints" on either phone really boil down to operator error or corrupt apps. I'm unconvinced that "reliability" is truly an issue with either phone, aside from some random problems here and there. But not enough to call either one a bad phone.

MHO

0 Likes
CMI

thanks for the info. I had been in a couple of the stores and found i really didnt play with them enough. what i did was to order both as upgrade on two of my lines that were due. i'll play with both, see if my wife likes one also.  if she doesnt want it maybe i'll keep it as a spare. i have been texting on my boulder keypad so either on the droids will be a pleasure. i'm trying to sort thru some of the complaints relating to e-mail. do you find them valid ?

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

CMI wrote:

i'm trying to sort thru some of the complaints relating to e-mail. do you find them valid ?

I haven't really followed threads on e-mail related complaints. I can tell you that my wife, my daughter, and I all have the Eris, all have different mail servers (my wife has THREE e-mail accounts on her Eris, including one wireless exchange activesync account for work) and none of us have had any problems with sending or receiving e-mails, other than some picture formats that won't display. I do believe some mail servers have known issues with Android phones. Our Juno, Gmail, Roadrunner, and Outlook accounts have all worked fine.
0 Likes
droidoholic

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188788/watch_out_nexus_one_heres_htcs_incredible_phone.html

Don't know what your time frame is like, but  HTC is coming out with a killer phone. Check out the link. I would definitely go to VZW and check out the Eris, it has HTC sense UI and should give you a taste of how the Incredible will operate. Keep in mind the Incredible will be blazing fast thank to a 1 gig snapdragon processor and will operating 2.1 android . Just food for thought.

0 Likes