HTC Eris
ashleyanne81

So my Eris is running slow.. I first cleared the cache, that helped with everything except the text messaging. I went in through applications and tried to clear out all the data from the messaging portion of my phone, this doesn't actually clear away all my messages from the message screen. I tried to delete them one thread at a time, and it takes forever and then pops up with some error message. It also takes a long time for me to send out a text, and this obviously is due to the fact there are so many messages stored taking up memory. How do I fix this problem?? Will I have to take it to the store? HELP!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Eris
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried doing a Google search for the error message you're getting?

One thing you could try is deleting multiple threads at once: from the conversation list, hit menu, then choose delete. Just touch the X next to all the threads you want to delete.

The Eris is slooooooow at deleting a lot of text messages, and even worse if you have threads with a few hundred or more messages in them. At that point, you might just have to let it do its thing until it's done--don't try to do anything with the phone until it finishes.

Sometimes if it seems like it's stuck and it just won't do it after 10 minutes, I've found that shutting the phone off and turning it back on will improve resonsiveness a little bit--sometimes those stuck threads will have been deleted, too.

0 Likes
JP1127

I've found that after about 750 messages on the phone that have not been deleted will really bog the phones functionality down.  If you're a heavy texter, I'd recommend deleting daily or every other day, to keep this from happening.  If you're already past the point of no return on these the only option is to do a factory data reset.  Unfortunately b/c this phone only has one processor in this phone and it's not a heavy duty processor, it can only do what it can do.  I personally own this phone and have not experienced near the amount of problems that several other users have, I have to chalk it up to my OCD in keeping phone cleared of text messages and emails.  If you're wanting to keep some of the text messages and don't want to delete them forever, I would suggest forwarding to an email address for safekeeping.  Another suggestion is to remove all unused applications b/c they take up unnecessary space on phones harddrive.  Best of luck to you!!! 

0 Likes
nebraskagirl_39

I was having the same trouble, since the update my phone did about the first part of July. Before the update the messages (and everything else from weather to phone calls) would force close and then delete my inbox. it was happening almost every day. Then an update happened....since then, I am unable to delete messages! I tried downloading an app to clean things up and saw that I had over 7,000 messages! Even the app couldn't do it! So i took your advice and did a factory reset. Now my messages are empty and I will be deleting every day or so from now on! THANK YOU! This has been driving me crazy!!!!

0 Likes