Re: HTC Eris - Change Standard Notification Sounds??????
aacarr

Actually, ashleyks, unlike most other phones, that doesn't seem to be true. If it shows up as a playable file, regardless of format, it seems like you can use it....at least every file format *I've* tried, so far.

In fact, as I had hoped to do in my last post, I have the Star Trek commuicator for SMS incoming,  the Trek "Red Alert" klaxon when my GF calls from her OnStar phone and many other custom notifications and rings.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

aacarr wrote:

Next, is the location: on my SD card, the path must be, in the root folder, \media\audio\notificatons.

Puth the android-compatible sounds of your choice there, and they will show up the next time you go to

settings/sound & display/notification

Unfortunately, I find no such folders or file paths on my Eris. Unless you're actually rooting the phone, and I'd rather not go there right now. Not really worth it for a notification sound IMHO.
0 Likes
aacarr

No need to root...in fact, I duuno HOW to root it...never have. All I meant by "root" was the main (aka "root") directory/folder of the SD card. (ie: c:\ ...\notifications as opposed to c:\foo\...\notifications in the Windows world)

I just downloaded a free file manager app from the market (a number of free ones there), and did the folder work there.  Been a few months since I did it and posted about it, but it was simple and safe.

0 Likes
monkespit

I'm assuming you mean that you want to have different notification sounds for different people, as far as text messages, mms, etc. ?

if so you need a couple of apps, as it is not possible under 1.5 or perhaps android altogether? to have different notifcation sounds.

First you need rings extended which will help in allowing you to use more types of media as ringtones/notifications/alarms, and it will allow you to select media from anywhere on your phone/sd card rather than the 15-20 pre-installed sounds.

Then you need either handcent sms or ringo. i prefer handcent sms as it's free and it spices up your texting. Through this way when you receive a text from someone and view it you will see a little settings button on the top right or left that allows you to customize that person's interactions with you in this app, when you click the notification sound for said person then click rings extended, and then you should be able to scroll around a sortable list of all media files your phone can find.

Ringo is an actual app designed primarily for customizing ringtones and notifications by person, using your contact list as a reference you can find them in the list and press a button to allow you to pick your media after clicking rings extended again. This app is great if you really don't want another messaging app like handcent and are happy with HTC's messaging app. There is a free version and a paid version. My only issue with Ringo was it seemed like everytime i would get a text my custom notification tone would play but sometimes it would only play for half a second or maybe 1 or 2 seconds, but almost always would cut off my notification sound before it would finish. I'm assuming it was ringo's problem as I now use handcent and have not had any such issues.

The choice is up to you, or maybe you can hold off until we get the newer os update which might have a fix for this issue??

good luck

-spit

0 Likes