HTC Droid Eris
susan1susan

Verizon DSL wireless does not work in my home; I use an ethernet cable to connect online. My Verizon cell phone does not work in my home.  Can I get an HTC Droid Eris to work in my home?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Droid Eris
Dude58

Do you have a cable modem?  If you have a cable modem, or DSL modem for you need a wireless router.  You can then connect to the internet using the Eris WiFi.

You have no Verizon signal in your house?

0 Likes
susan1susan

I have a DSL modem with wireless router.  Wireless keeps dropping out, so for past year I have used an ethernet cable.  Can I get an HTC Droid Eris to work while I have an ethernet cable connection?  How?

0 Likes
scajjr2

susan1susan wrote:

I have a DSL modem with wireless router.  Wireless keeps dropping out, so for past year I have used an ethernet cable.  Can I get an HTC Droid Eris to work while I have an ethernet cable connection?  How?

Do you have a all-in-one-unit DSL modem/wireless router ( I had a Westell DSL Modem that had it's own wireless router when I had Verizon DSL a couple years ago) or do you have a DSL modem and a separate wrieless router (like a Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, etc)?

If you have the all-in-one-unit you can disable the wireless in that and get a separate wireless router to try. If you already have a separate wireless router what's the make & model? Make and model of wireless card in computer or is it built-in in a laptop?

I have Comcast now (Motorola SB6120 cable modem) connected to a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH wireless N router and my Eris connects to it fine.

Where in the US are you located? Note there have been reports (one by me) that the phone signal strength isn't as strong in the Eris (compared to my last phone, a Samsung Gleam). So a poor-weak  Verizon cell signal in your house may appear worse with the Eris. Do not confuse the cell phone voice signal strength with the wifi (wireless) or 3G signal they are different.

Sam

0 Likes
susan1susan

I have an Actiontec GT-704-WB wirellss modem. ( I had a Westell; didn't work; Verizon suggested I buy the Actiontec wireless modem from them.)  I connect to the internet via ethernet cable.  I do not have a separate wireless router.  I have a wireless card (8011g ???) in my computer.  I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

How are my chances at using HTC Droid Eris at home?  Will another wireless router work, if the one I am using does not?

0 Likes
scajjr2

susan1susan wrote:

I have an Actiontec GT-704-WB wirellss modem. ( I had a Westell; didn't work; Verizon suggested I buy the Actiontec wireless modem from them.)  I connect to the internet via ethernet cable.  I do not have a separate wireless router.  I have a wireless card (8011g ???) in my computer.  I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

How are my chances at using HTC Droid Eris at home?  Will another wireless router work, if the one I am using does not?

Well my fiance travels to Pittsbugh 3-4 times a year to pick up her granddaughter and hasn't had troubles with her cell reception but who knows you could be in dead zone. Where I used to live my house had the worst radio and cell reception but a few hundred feet down the street it was fine.

Wireless routers- We used to have a Linksys G router. My fiance's laptop sat 15 feet away and always had weak connection. I put a wireless N card in it and got the Buffalo N router (WRZ-HP-G300NH, HP is the high power model). Now she stays connecetd at 270+Mbps and the laptop on our upstairs bedroom gets a constant Very Good signal. So yes depending on who makes the wireless chip in your laptop card, the brand of router, etc., it can be a crap shoot if you don't do a lot of research.

If you know how, access the internal web page of the modem/router and see if you can change the channel the wireless brodcasts on. Sometimes that can make a difference. Most use something like http://192.168.1.1 to get to the internal setup page.

As I said I have no problems connecting to my wireless router. The cell voice signal strength inj the Eris seems lower than my old Samsung Gleam in my house. Almost seems like actually making phone calls is an afterthought to smartphone design.

Sam

0 Likes
susan1susan

Thanks for all the good info.  I'm a bit reluctant to spend a few hundred dollars on a Buffalo router that may or may not help my reception.

I'd rather investigate changing the channel on my wireless router.  I don't use it now.  If I enable it, will if affect my ethernet connection?

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

The ActionTec routers are a bit of hit or miss in regards to the wireless transmission.  If it were me, I would go online and buy one of the cheapo 802.11g routers from Netgear or DLink and try that out if you can't get your channel changed on your router to work.  I have had two of the AT routers before and won't use them again.

Now for the question at hand.  If you switch the channel on your router, you will probably have to go into your wireless connection settings on your computer and change it to the new channel.  It is probably set to auto channel but if it won't find the signal, that is a good reason.  6 and 11 are the most common for home wireless routers.  Any changes that you make to the wireless tab on your administraton panel for your router will have no effect on your wired (ethernet) connection, so feel free to experiment as much as you'd like. 

Again, just from personal experience and far too much of my life spent in server rooms, I'd still recommend switching your wireless router for one of the cheap Netgear or DLink routers and use that instead.  One more thing to remember is that if you go into a store to buy one, the associates are most likely more interested on how much comission a device gives them than they are in how much the device will help you.  If you can't get the cheap 54G router to connect, the N routers won't be much better and defintely won't be worth triple the price. 

Let us know how it works out.

0 Likes
scajjr2

susan1susan wrote:

Thanks for all the good info.  I'm a bit reluctant to spend a few hundred dollars on a Buffalo router that may or may not help my reception.

I'd rather investigate changing the channel on my wireless router.  I don't use it now.  If I enable it, will if affect my ethernet connection?

Won't affect the wired connection at all.

Also the Buffalo high power G model, whr-hp-g54 is $52 at Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134

I only paid $100 for my high power N model.

Sam

0 Likes