HTC Droid Eris "contact type" drop down menu only lists "Phone"
rustybg

Got a HTC Droid Eris the other day and absolutely love it!

However, when adding a new contact on the phone, the drop bown menu box only lists "Phone" and does NOT give a "Google" or "Exchange" option as is indicated on p. 72 of the pdf "User Guide for Droid HTC Eris" by Verizon. 

I have examined 3 others Droid Eris phones of friends/family, and on each of their phones when adding a new contact the drop down menu box does list the "Google" option in addition to the "Phone" option.

The problem with not being able to select "Google" as the contact type is that the contact information does not "sync" with the Gmail "Contacts List" online.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Droid Eris "contact type" drop down menu only lists "Phone"
necofurtim

I had the same problem and took me about 2 hours of searching to figure out how to get all my contacts to sync with my gmail contacts. All my contacts transfered to the phone before I set up my gmail/google account on the phone so they are under "phone" like yours and will not sync with googles

1)First you should set up the "gmail" app that is installed on the phone(not the android "mail" app) and use your preferred gmail/google account for it.

2)Now if you want to transfer the contacts in your phone that are labeled "phone" to google contacts that are sync-able with your gmail account you'll need to download a special app to export the "phone" contacts. Goto the market and search for "exportcontacts" by rishi srivatsaval.

3) It will export your contacts on the phone to a file on the sd card, now hook up the phone to the pc. On the pc open your gmail account and goto contacts. Find Import on the top left of the contacts panel, and use the browse to find the file created on the phone's sd card. Now google imported my phone contacts/groups some got merged and updated so all my contacts are now in google/gmail.

4)Now deleted all the "phone" contacts on your phone. You can tell the phone to show only "phone" contacts, by hitting menu->display-> only phone. Once you have removed all the "phone" contacts and have set up the gmail app/google account properly on the phone all the contacts you imported from the file and that were in your gmail account will automatically show up and sync.

I've been testing this for awhile today before I was sure it was working properly. I have the "google" contact type now for all my contacts and when I change items/groups on the phone they are updated in my gmail and vise-versa. The only thing I noticed is that even if I name the group "Friends", "Family", or "Coworkers" on the phone it does not sync into Google's default groups of the same name. So I have 2 groups called "Friends"/"Family"/"Coworkers" under my gmail groups now, the default google groups are empty though and cannot be removed.

I believe that all this is caused when you import/add contacts before you have set up the phone to your google account, so the contacts are linked/stored on the phone only. If a contact is added after the phone is linked to your google account you get the option of contact type "google" or "phone". Hope this helps

0 Likes
spotlight00

Where is this user guide?!  I couldn't believe the thing didn't come with a manual of any sort. 

0 Likes
fzpb61

I have a similar issue.  I have my contacts the way I want them and I want to sync them with my Outlook account at work using HTC sync.  However, it only syncs the ones that are labeled phone.  The ones that are labeled Google will not sync.  These contacts must have come from when I first turned on the phone and it automatically synched with my Google account when I gave it the info.  All of a sudden I had like 250 contacts, and 50 of them I didn't want.  I have cleaned it all up and turned off the syncing of contacts with Google.  How do I get all the "Google" labled contacts changed to the label "phone" so I can synch them with my Outlook?  Do I have to extract them with this program you mention and then somehow bring them into my Outlook account on my computer, then synch them up with the phone that way???

Any input is appreciated.  Hopefully in 2.1 they will fix it so you can change the contact type label.  It's wierd because you can't have contacts on your work/home outlook account and on your gmail account and synch with both of them without havin duplicate contacts on your phone...

I like everything else so far, but this!!

Thanks,

DB

0 Likes
thetornado
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

The user guide that is supposed to come with phone can be found by following this link below. It is the exact user manual that verizon usually sends with the phone. http://infomanagerdoc.ddc.vzwcorp.com/EQUIPMENT_GUIDE/equipment_guide/wep/Manual/htc/Eris.pdf

0 Likes
bwmotz

I have the same issue that was originally posted. After reading all the threads, I'm not sure a solution was provided.

Why is it that when I go to add a new contact on my phone, the only option I have is to add a "phone" contact type and not a "Google" contact type?

I want to be able to add a "Google" contact type so that the particular contact is synced with my google account.

When I go to the "People" app and click "Add Contact", all I see is "Phone" for Contact Type.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes