Re: HTC Droid Eris Touchscreen Dead Spots
Not applicable

Thanks for everyone's suggestions regarding this problem. If there is a dead area in the touch screen, it's likely a hardware problem. You can always try the steps above, but if the area is still dead, you'll likely need to look at replacement options. If your phone is covered under warranty (1 year or up to 2 years if extended warranty) and has no damage, call the Warranty Center directly at 866-406-5154.  If you prefer, I'd be happy to reach out to you as soon as I can. Just send me a DM. 

If your phone has damage, you can look at upgrade options by signing into My Verizon.  You can also file an insurance claim (assuming you have insurance) here.

I hope that answers everyone's question about the dead area in a touch screen. Feel free to post any other questions you may have. 

0 Likes
ryanttb

Hi MIke, I would like to DM you but I can't unless you're following me. Is that a possibility?

0 Likes
Epacific
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

Though I know this thread is pretty old, I wanted to share my experience with this issue.  I had a dead spot on the lower left portion of my screen- essentially, the areas covered by the numeric "buttons" 4 and 7.  The problem drove me nuts and I tried everything including what was listed in this thread and elsewhere.  It didn't matter how hard I pressed or what the temperature of the phone was or how many times I reset the phone- no change.

One of the first things I had tried was to remove my plastic screen protector- the hope, of course, being that being able to directly touch the screen would help alleviate the problem.  However, it didn't help at all and I was about to give up and just upgrade the phone (my two year contract is up anyway). 

Meanwhile, seeing that I had a packet of new extra screen protectors left, I went ahead and put a new screen protector on my screen.  This wasn't an attempt to fix the phone- I just figured that if I was going to upgrade the phone I might as well use the protectors up, since they were likely to be useless anyway as the form factor of a new phone would probably be different.  But, to my utter surprise, the dead spot was completely gone! 

Putting the new screen protector on fixed the entire dead spot issue.  I know this seems counter intuitive and people may say, "Sure, whatever, your screen was just dirty- you cleaned it, put a protector on, and voila your so called dead-spot went away."  Absolutely not.  I had cleaned the screen really really well many many times over a period of a month in an attempt get this thing to work.  Again, I had the dead spot without the old protector on.  I do no know why this fixed the issue but the phone is like new again!  In fact, the hesitation that seemed to occur even in those areas of the screen that worked is now gone: the screen as a whole is now much more responsive.  I don't know if this helps people or not but, if you have some screen protectors laying around, just throw one on and see if it helps- it can't hurt to try.

Cheers!

wishbone61

I know this sounds crazy.......but I took Epacific's advice and put a new screensaver on my Eris and IT WORKED!!!

The dead spots that were on the lower left corner area of my touchscreen are gone (it was in the area of the letter a)

This quick, cheap fix will get me over the hump until the iPhone 5 comes out in the fall......without having to invest in a repair or getting a refurb thru the insurance!!

A Big Thanks to Epacific!!!!!

John

0 Likes
spiver009

I just want to say that I too tried Epacific's method and hoo-ra! My "dead spots" were not so dead anymore. Thanks!

0 Likes
lesh

If anyone is still doubting Epacific's advice... it worked for me too! My phone went from having several dead spots, (including the 7, which, in a place with a 713 area code makes the phone practically un-usable) to feeling like a new phone.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
KTschudy

Worked for me too! Dead spots gone after I put on a new screensaver. I was able to erase old messages, which required pressing #7 on the keypad. I hadn't been able to get a response from any key on the lower left side of my screen and now they all work. Still doesn't make sense, but it works!

0 Likes