Re: HTC Droid DNA - 4G Issue
Not applicable

People could file with the BBB if their device is not fixed via a replacement or alternate device with the same features, and IMHO (I think this would force the whole industry to change) they should be allowed to exit their contract without penalty, if the carrier cannot provide a timely solution.

Oops I forgot this section you wrote above.

The complaint is not against the cellular carrier, but should be against the device maker.

The warranty is with the device maker and the consumer. So lets say Verizon today says from now on you must go through HTC, Samsung, Motorola or any other maker for your MANUFACTURERS warranty.

Then you will see industry changes. Customers will cry to have Verizon assist them in getting replacements.

Please remember Verizon and other companies do the swap of a bad device barring physical damage or water damage for their customers and the device makers. They are under no obligation to do so.

So the issue of getting out of any contract is moot. The contract is for cellular and data services and not for the proper operation of a phone or tablet of which they themselves do not manufacture.

Additionally there is supplemental insurance that covers loss, theft, or physical or water damage.

Again not supplied via Verizon but outside companies.

Good Luck

0 Likes
dleenhouts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is the one that offers the 15-day trial to turn the other way if everything is not up to snuff, & the rest of the Big 4 have similar policies. But the vast majority of us who are seeing this issue, regardless of whose code is causing it, are well past that window. If I had the chance to pay a $30 restocking fee to walk away from Verizon after what they've done to their network in the past few months I would do it in a heartbeat.

It'd be awfully nice if we could get that same window after any kind of change is made that is beyond our control - code pushed to devices, tower algorithms altered, etc - where we could at least roll back to what we had before. Or Verizon could at least pretend to stand behind their product for all of its customers, not just the very newest.

0 Likes
Not applicable

How much I agree or disagree with the statement you made is not altered by facts.

Verizon makes no device to stand behind. It really is that simple.

The tower issue is their issue, but lets say the issue is caused by an operating system update? That is still not Verizon's fault. It was the device being updated.

Lets go one step beyond that. Say the device you have did not work in that 15 day window for the return, would you not as the customer simply return the device due to poor cellular coverage? I know I would.

True all the cell companies give that 15 day return window. T-Mobile has a 30 day return policy for online purchases. Yet again if you the consumer cannot get a signal you return the device and find another provider that has better coverage.

Take it another step further, you buy the device at Best Buy and in 15 days you don't like the coverage you return it. Then say its after that time frame and your device gets an update which makes it unusable no matter what provider you have. Best Buy does not take the device back what so ever. No other retailer will either.

Now you complain to the cell provider, well lets see the device was bought at another retailer and now its the carriers responsibility to give you another device? No why should they? Best Buy will not take it back, they will direct you to the maker of the phone to deal with them yourself.

Verizon as I said will warrant the return to the manufacturer but really is not obligated to do so, even if they as a retailer of devices for the makers are selling the units they could just tell you that from now on deal with HTC, or Samsung etc. I am sure many people will be really upset.

Everything is not the cellular carriers fault.

Good Luck

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

It's fine you repeated their disclaimer text... You didn't have to for my benefit.

I wrote IMHO, they should... The consumer isn't protected, and needs to be. Insufficient testing was performed... probably at Google's level, the manufacturer's level, and the carrier's level.

Without additional programs loaded on the devices, and after performing a FDR, the devices don't work as they used to under JellyBean.

Factually (and you like using the word Fact a lot), the update doesn't push UNLESS the carrier authorizes it. The carrier HAS to prove network compatibility, and may have modified it further in ways that collide with the product Google developed or collide with the lower-level software that interfaces with the devices hardware. This is where they are not being as responsible as they should be.

The whole cycle needs to be slowed way down.

Why in some cases do some people have a problem, and others do not? Why do some devices post-FDR operate properly, and others do not?

Likely, the devices have low-level software and/or hardware differences within the population of the devices in question.

I'm not saying the manufacturer shouldn't be responsible. Hardly. In many cases, the carrier and the manufacturer are providing replacement devices that still don't work... or, they work, but when the push is downloaded onto the device and installed, the replacement doesn't work.

It's a broken model that is not customer centric, and the subscribers to the network shouldn't be beta-testers.

0 Likes
dleenhouts
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tower issue predates the 4.4.2 update, & is also across multiple operating systems. 4.4.2 made a bad problem worse as far as I can tell.

This software clearly has issues, & everyone's testing has always been sub-par. They test in labs, not in the field. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if Google, Apple, HTC/Samsung/LG/Nokia/Motorola, & Verizon had tested in the field, someone would have identified a poor signal & gone back to fix it - by fixing the towers and/or by fixing the software. Right now, it seems everyone is paying the price for the industry's lack of due diligence, & customers are up in arms at everyone involved. The Google forums are filled with the same rhetoric, so are the hardware manufacturers.

I wonder how much tower/4g network grief was caused by Verizon prepping their rollout of XLTE without regression testing?

Not applicable

It's a broken model that is not customer centric, and the subscribers to the network shouldn't be beta-testers.

However it is not just HTC but many other devices. That in using logic will tell you that it is the update that is the culprit. It is true Verizon has to make sure the device works on their networks as do Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile.

It may function on the networks but it does not mean full functionality beyond what ever criteria the carriers demand.

The cell providers request sort of apps that are carrier specific like MY Verizon, or Rhapsody Music Service, My NFL, Video and TV programs. These are not base code changes. It is just like getting an app from the Google Play store or iTunes store. what I never liked was that you cannot delete them but merely just turn them off.

The carriers are sending out replacements provided by the makers of the devices. Again it is a device maker issue.

Lets say you call HTC and say my device is now acting crazy and you tell them how. They say OK go and place it in secure packaging and send to what ever address they give you. Now HTC is fulfilling their warranty obligations.

You now get back your old device or another device from them and lo and behold the problems persist so you again go through the warranty process. You as a customer are not satisfied so the first thing out of the customers mouth is Verizon is not doing enough to fix the issues. But you can see it has nothing to do with Verizon or Sprint or AT&T or even T-Mobile. But they are getting the blame.

Look at it another way. In example say your HTC is updated on all carriers but only Verizon Wireless has the listed problems. Now you have a case. Because you then know if the others have no issues with the update it is something the carrier is responsible for. However that is not the case. This problem or problems are on all carriers.

Just don't know what to tell you.

Not applicable

You are absolutely correct in your statements. I could not agree more.

But will they learn from their mistakes, is the big question.

If an OS patch is sent out I would hope most of the complaints will be solved

Great Post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FGWULandscaping Our goal is to make sure you have a working phone. We don't want you to leave us based on the issues with the software update. Let's check your options to see how we can resolve your concerns with the DNA. What specific issues are you having with your phone. Please share the details.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes