HTC 10 Oreo... getting sound notifications but no status bar notification
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Ever since the Oreo update, I'm getting random default notification sounds but when I look at the phone, there's no new status bar notification icon (even after they've all been cleared). I can't figure out what is causing this, and this is the first time I've ever had a smartphone that had sound notifications but no status bar notification.

Can someone explain this?

Labels (1)
Re: HTC 10 Oreo... getting sound notifications but no status bar notification
JosephofJbird
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem. On a few occasions it's happened while I was viewing the screen and I noticed the location icon come on for a second. Did a few Google Searches and found this:

1. Go to Settings > Apps
  2. Tap on the 3 dots at the top right hand corner > select Show System
  3. Scroll down and select System UI > tap App Notifications
  4. Tap VZW > Importance
  5. Change the importance to Low:No sound or visual interruption

I've done this and 30 minutes in it seems to have done the trick but time will tell.

random64
Contributor - Level 2

Since Oreo update, I was having the same issue with unknown sound notifications driving me (and more importantly, my wife) crazy!

@JosephofJbird's solution solves it, and below are steps to test and verify his solution.

I would recommend one change to the solution, at least for test purposse below, which is in step 5. Change the importance to Medium: No sound".  After testing the fix then you can change it to "Low: No sound or visual interruption" as advised during the solution.

To test it, we want to force the beep without the solution, then implement the solution and attempt to force the beep again (which won't happen this time).  You can test it by doing (before you implement the fix):

a.) Verify through step 5. of the solution that importance is still set to "High: Make sound" (i.e. sound notification still on).  If you've already done the fix, you can undo it by setting importance == High: Make sound.

b.) Settings --> Location == Off;

c.) Settings --> Location == On; // Now you should see the brief "System UI" Notification and hear the beep.

d.) Now do @JosephofJbird's fix, but with importance == Medium.

e.) Repeat steps b.) and c.); // Now, you'll see the "System UI" Notification, but hear no beep!

Finally, one reason why this solution (partially) makes sense is the way I finally found it myself this morning.  I went to:

Settings --> Sound & notification --> Advanced --> Notifications --> Show System --> (Select) "System UI"

There was no "allow sound" toggle, and I noticed individual categories' toggles didn't work but you could tape on them.  Through trial and error and test method above, I found the VZW categories was the culprit.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dhinged, we want to ensure you can see your notifications and not just hear them. We know it's not always possible to check then when hearing the sound and by keeping them present in the status bar it reminds you it still hasn't been viewed. JosephofJbird did provide some great steps to resolve this issue. Have you tried this already on your HTC 10? If so, have you been able to test the results? Let us know if those steps did resolve your notification matter. 

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

@EbonyR_VZW, if you're talking about the Location Found notification (which I'm not sure is causing the problem), then I can say that I never need that notification, visual or otherwise. It's a useless notification; it just gets in the way. I've made postings here about preventing it from showing up, but Verizon seems to disagree and think I need to randomly see it whenever it fires. I expect Google Maps or whatever to find my location when it needs to; I don't need it telling me that it found it, I assume it will, otherwise whatever needs it won't work right.

It's like someone telling you the lights worked when they came on, or the car started after you started it, or the sun is out after you've both gone outside. It's just such a useless annoying notification that's distracting and in the way, and Verizon needs a better more customer-friendly attitude about it.

I have noticed however after changing the "importance" notification that I'm not getting the random sounds that have no visual notification, and that the Location Found visual notification only shows up temporarily rather than sticking around waiting for me to clear it... it still however pushes down/up other notifications, which is super-annoying because I may be going to tap or clear one and then everything shifts (why have this happen needlessly?), or causes me to look at the phone due to a useless/unnecessary notification.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dhinged, your time is important to us. I can understand how receiving these notifications can be frustrating. To clarify did you change the important to No Sound or Visual Interruption?

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuperHarleyQuinn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you! !!!

0 Likes