Re: HTC 10 & Android 7.0
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I don't care about devices coming out. I care about the device I have in my hand. It SHOULD NOT take a backseat to a new device. EVER. My argument is that it would behoove the manufacturers to keep supporting devices should they want people to purchase them. If they don't support us, I won't buy from them again. I really don't need any of these devices. I could just as easily buy a basic phone and live happily. When I pay a premium for a product I expect to get my money's worth out of it.

Verizon absolutely has something to do with software. Remember BREW? No, they don't design the Android OS but they certainly say what apps are pre-installed just like all carriers. If we get away from carrier branding and buy from the manufacturers directly we wouldn't have these issues.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

I don't care about devices coming out. I care about the device I have in my hand. It SHOULD NOT take a backseat to a new device. EVER. My argument is that it would behoove the manufacturers to keep supporting devices should they want people to purchase them. If they don't support us, I won't buy from them again. I really don't need any of these devices. I could just as easily buy a basic phone and live happily. When I pay a premium for a product I expect to get my money's worth out of it.

Verizon absolutely has something to do with software. Remember BREW? No, they don't design the Android OS but they certainly say what apps are pre-installed just like all carriers. If we get away from carrier branding and buy from the manufacturers directly we wouldn't have these issues.

BREW is open source and the agreement they have with manufacturers is completely different than what is done today.  It's an Apples to Oranges comparison which I eluded to earlier.

Google, and Sony AOSP project showed carriers cause very little delay people make it out to be.  Those preinstalled apps take 0 time at all as it is already code and tested on various devices.  The only problem with those apps would ever arise if the manufacturers change the basic API's which they never touch and only add their own.

Just look at Europe the reason why they don't have these issues... Everything is exactly the same.  They have contracts, and they buy devices from carriers/retailers.  Carriers there DO test the updates.  The problem lies that WE blame carriers for delays while from 2009 forward started blaming manufacturers.  They get better support... Think about it.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Then why didn't you buy from the manufacturer?  A large percentage of flagship phones are available from the OEMs unlocked and will work just fine on Verizon.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Regardless, it still wouldn't have the update.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Then I read this. Should this be true I will NEVER by LG again and half a.kind to go back to Apple. At least they support their customers.

http://www.nashvillechatterclass.com/official-lg-g4-lg-v10-wont-updated-android-7-0-nougat/27224/

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Then why are you blaming Verizon?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I doubt it's true, but I get 404 on that link.  If you want the fastest updates with no intervention from the manufacturer, you need to get a PIXEL... At least Google won't handcuff updates for older devices.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Because Verizon could put a little pressure on the manufacturers.

LG didn't get the Nougat update in July. I am sure that they've had it for quite a while.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

All manufacturers get it the same time, when Google releases it, which is right around the same time they push it to their devices.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So you want me to believe that Google didn't give it manufacturers until August 22?

0 Likes