HTC 10 & Android 7.0
ron1284
Enthusiast - Level 2

When is Verizon going to push OTA updates for the HTC 10 so we can have the latest enhancements in Android 7.0?

Verizon always lags with this, and it's annoying.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC 10 & Android 7.0
Tidbits
Legend

NDA would not allow them to say so.  HTC hasn't updated their website which if they say anything wouldn't violate the NDA they make carriers sign.  Just some food for thought.  They haven't even put HTC 10s on their lists.  It doesn't make you wonder?

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

HTC is the one writing the code. They will announce the status on their website. HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ron1284-

I know software updates are super exciting. While we don't have word quite yet, you can stay in the loop by following this link: http://vz.to/1TSO9m1. Is there anything else that we can assist you with in the mean time?

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mk7se
Contributor - Level 2

T-Mobile And Sprint both have rolled out Android 7 for their HTC 10.

Of course just like ALWAYS, we on Verizon's supposedly premium and most expensive network are stuck waiting AGAIN. 

According to an email response from HTC,  the hold up is indeed with Verizon, but they won't admit it. If they do, they'll say it's because of their extensive testing.  Meaning, they'll get to it after they add hidden charges to everyone's bill. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

mk7se wrote:

T-Mobile And Sprint both have rolled out Android 7 for their HTC 10.

Of course just like ALWAYS, we on Verizon's supposedly premium and most expensive network are stuck waiting AGAIN.

According to an email response from HTC, the hold up is indeed with Verizon, but they won't admit it. If they do, they'll say it's because of their extensive testing. Meaning, they'll get to it after they add hidden charges to everyone's bill.

If you look at their own graph it shows and HTC admits they do all of the coding so any delay is due to HTC not finishing with the process.  A low level rep will NEVER know anything, and if they knew anything they'd be forced to sign a NDA stating that kind of information they can not give people.  Treat that with a grain of salt.

No team will finish an update first all the time and is subjected to who the manufacturers work on said update.  It has no bearing as to "paying premium" and expecting a carrier who doesn't touch code push an update first.

0 Likes
mk7se
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for sticking up for Verizon. However, you're not correct. HTC and Verizon's relationship has always been terrible at best.

Verizon also screwed around when HTC launched the M7. It's well documented on the internet how untimely verizon is with Google updates.

Google actually writes the code. HTC determines how to implement it in their phones.

Then it's off to the carrier. In our unfortunate case it's verizon.

Then finally back to HTC.

Here is a graph of the process.

HTC Software Updates Process | HTC United States

See steps 7-12. For you to say verizon doesn't touch code is incorrect, not to mention your statement of a "low level" person not having correct information. You think verizon is different with what their people tell us who's holding up the process? How far up the pole do you think the people responding here are? Please include verizon in the "grain of salt category" next time.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am not sticking up for Verizon.  I am a programmer and I do large scale software development.  Even HTC own timeline shows that they are responsible for all updates and coding.  Verizon touches no code.  Our low level customer service reps that answer our emails know jack about anything other than basic troubleshooting and anything above that it's a trouble ticket to me which I delegate to my subs.

If you look at steps 7 through 12...  What does it EXACTLY says? 

Step 7 DEFINE THE SCOPE

This is where they have carrier aggregation, RCS, things that would need help from Qualcomm(or insert CPU/GPU/Radio company), and "bloatware" which shows it is given in advance.  Verizon or any carrier for that matter doesn't touch the code.  Manufacturers touch all the code.  If the carrier touched the code steps 8, 9, and 10 wouldn't even mention HTC at all because the code would be out of their hands.  You think Manufacturers are going to let carriers have proprietary code in their possession that they can modify or steal?

Step 8 HTC incorporates carrier modifications.  It DOES NOT say Verizon modifies the code it self.  HTC does. 

Step 9 HTC does Internal Testing

Step 10 HTC submits Lab Entry

At this point is where regulatory testing can happen. Things like E911, FCC testing if there are major changes to the radio.

Step 11...  If they have it in their possession the whole time why would HTC need to receive approval from Verizon?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Tidbits
Legend

part 2

So everything on the internet must be true.  Google did an AOSP project with Sony and what they learned... Carriers were NOT the cause of delays for updates.  It was manufacturers and regulators.  Google didn't give manufacturers code in advance so they had to start from scratch from the point Google released the code.  This process with regulators could take up to 6 months to get radio approval due to the changes to the HAL.  Due to this started with Android 5.0 Google made the PDK for oems to give them a few months in advance before they release any updates.  You know what they learned about carriers.  What they wanted and what they pay for doesn't take any longer than 1 month WHEN the manufacturer submits anything...

I will tell you HTC will NEVER take you to a higher up.  I have worked with HTC for a long time and you will never get the information you want about updates and often you get regurgitation of a white lie to get you off the phone.  Easier to tell you what you want to hear than the tell you otherwise.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

ron1284-

I know software updates are super exciting. While we don't have word quite yet, you can stay in the loop by following this link: http://vz.to/1TSO9m1. Is there anything else that we can assist you with in the mean time?

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

This is NOT an acceptable response. I have been waiting for the 6.0.1 and now the 7.1.1 update on my LG V10.

The 6.0.1 update was released by Google 3 whole months BEFORE LG and Verizon pushed the 6.0 update.

We need faster updates so Verizon will need to work with manufacturers to push this. Or better yet, VZW should have nothing to do with adding un-removable bloatware to our devices. That way manufacturers can get the updates to the end user faster. You know, sort of like Apple made it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

bloatware isn't the problem  See my response above.  The bloatware is given in advanced AND are only put in the system folder as to why they are not removable.

OEM's need to do a better job in modulation if they want to update their devices faster.  Even Google understands this and started to write Android at it's base more modular.

0 Likes