Google Voicemail stopped working?
JohnyBeGood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Long time ago I setup voicemail thru Google Voice https://www.google.com/voice instead of Verizon's and at some point there was option to listen Voicemails in Google Hangouts app and it worked for many years. Now it no longer works and callers only get Verizon's default greeting about how voicemail has not been setup. There's nothing under Hangouts's settings https://prnt.sc/hh43dy or under Google Voice settings https://prnt.sc/hh469d

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Voicemail stopped working?
JohnyBeGood
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it figured out and wanted to post solution in case someone runs into same issue. I think the disconnect happend after recent Verizon Voicemail upgrade.

I found the settings where to turn off/on Google Voice email under Google Voice Legacy.

In order to reactivate it you need to go under My Verizon > My Devices > Device Overview > CALL FORWARDING and acitavte so that all unasnwwered and unaavilbe call get forwarded to Google Vocie. Once I did that it started working just like before and I'm getting Voicemails in the hangouts.my_verizon.jpggoogle_voice_new.JPGGoogle_voice_legacy.jpg

View solution in original post

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You should follow the instructions on Google Voice website. I use a Google Voice number and when calls come to that number it is forwarded to my Verizon number but I have set the voicemail to pick up after 20 seconds as the Verizon VM will pick up after 30 seconds. So as long as it rings for the allotted time which should be set to less than 30 seconds it should work.

0 Likes
JohnyBeGood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using my Verizon number and not Google Voice number and the Voicemail was setup thru Google Voice but now there's not option to register or un-register it?

0 Likes
JohnyBeGood
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it figured out and wanted to post solution in case someone runs into same issue. I think the disconnect happend after recent Verizon Voicemail upgrade.

I found the settings where to turn off/on Google Voice email under Google Voice Legacy.

In order to reactivate it you need to go under My Verizon > My Devices > Device Overview > CALL FORWARDING and acitavte so that all unasnwwered and unaavilbe call get forwarded to Google Vocie. Once I did that it started working just like before and I'm getting Voicemails in the hangouts.my_verizon.jpggoogle_voice_new.JPGGoogle_voice_legacy.jpg

Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!  I just kept reactivating things on my Google Voice end and it would work for a month or two and then deactivate.  Did you have to do anything differently on your Google Voice end?

0 Likes
jldrue
Enthusiast - Level 1

To forward unanswered calls to Google Voice instead of Verizon voicemail, simply dial *71 and your Google Voice number. Done! 

0 Likes
jldrue
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon call forwarding no longer gives the call forwarding options shown in this screenshot. To forward unanswered calls to Google Voice instead of Verizon voicemail, simply dial *71 and your Google Voice number. Done! 

KH-cathy29811

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes